Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Mucilin on your fly lines?
« on: 13/09/2010 at 14:44 »
Hi folks :cool:

A number of my customers mention mucilin and Permaplus (spelling?) for treating their lines to improve flotation.

I don't do this and wondered if any of you do? Which Mucilin should one use on vinyl based fly lines, the red or the green mucilin?

I am very wary of some of the advice going about out there and like to try these things. I have wrecked more than one line trying the fequently mentioned Armorall product, they sort of shriveled up and went bumpy after a couple of applications and then started to crack :z6

What are your experiences?

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

Re: Mucilin on your fly lines?
« Reply #1 on: 13/09/2010 at 14:56 »
Hi Mike,

I make sure that I seal the end of my line with superglue and then whip and aquasure a loop into my flylines, the tips very rarely sink if ever.  If they do or I need them to float higher I use Orvis Hyflote leader / indicator paste which is like very thick gink, comes in a little pot like Orvis mud. 
I don't use car cleaning products on my flylines and generally use whatever the line manufacturer sells, in the case of Northern Sport / Shakespeare lines I use Snowbee silicone to slick once cleaned with detergent & rouch paper towel or I use the re-plasticiser, 3M lines I use SA line dressing and agent X on Rio lines.  If Armourall was the best thing for flylines then Rio & SA would be bottling it & recomending it, to me it's like filling a car engine with 3 in 1 oil  :z4

Cheers

Ben

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 13/09/2010 at 15:45 »
I use green mucilin alot when nymphing as it keeps the line very high in the water and helps see takes!
Really go for when buzzer takes are very quick!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 14/09/2010 at 13:22 »
I use green mucilin alot when nymphing as it keeps the line very high in the water and helps see takes!
Really go for when buzzer takes are very quick!

Does it have any effect on the coating after a while Baz? I think the green possibly contains silicone :roll I'll maybe try it out and see how it goes :z3

In my experience, fly lines don't normally need any products like this, but I like to have an idea of what some folk are using on them so that I can keep an eye open for any side effects :wink

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 14/09/2010 at 15:35 »
Hi Mike,
I have used Permaplas for years and have several lines (Cortland 444) that are well over 15 years old that are still going strong.

Of more interest to yourself might be the Shakespeare Glider lines I have that were originally bought for Pike about 10 years ago. They have been "permaplas"ed a few times and still float high, are smooth, not cracked and are still supple.

As Ben says, for lines made by companies that sell line cleaning products, I tend to use them.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 15/09/2010 at 07:43 »
I have used it on my cortland peach and on your own fly line Mike and never seen any problems to the line after a seasons use!
 I have not owned a fly line yet that has not needed to have mucilin added to make it sit high in the water!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com