Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Richard Tong

Don Record Trout?
« on: 11/09/2010 at 12:34 »
Anyone know what the record Trout is off the Don? I seem to recall reading in an old Trout & Salmon from the 1970's that it was 13lb. I have been reliably informed that one was landed recently which weighed in at 14lb 4oz.

Don't know method of capture(it was on an 'any method'[ish] stretch),whether a photo exists or whether it was returned but the angler was an elderley 70 something gentleman. I can't name the stretch and that is all I know. I also can't imagine catching a Trout that big......

On a slightly different note are the Trout looking up now? Any surface activity to caddis,willow flies,pale waterys etc Possibly may think of another trip before the season ends if it is fishing well

Richard

Noel Kelly

Re: Don Record Trout?
« Reply #1 on: 11/09/2010 at 12:54 »
Hi Richard, I also cant imagine a trout of that size, wow.

My experience on the river of late is that there seem to be a lot of big trout appearing and rising to something that I cant see so either tiny or more likely under the surface. Very very spooky though and I haven't been able to tempt a big one in ages, seems to be you only get one shot at the better fish and even then the offering is mostly ignored. I know a few other regulars that I speak to who say the same.
I have almost given up on dry fly fishing after a few blanks in a row.
Have seen a few massive rises of fish  in the evenings when there are fish rising everywhere but these are mostly very short lived and frustrating!!!. The warmer evenings the rise lasts longer.
I am heading to the river now for a few hrs but I don't expect to fish drys.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 11/09/2010 at 19:16 »
Hi Richard,

Not done a lot of trout fishing recently, still got a salmon head on.  Agree with Noel, there are good fish moving but they are on tiny stuff despite some good caddis hatches including some reasonable hatches of seriously large caddis.  I have had a few on streamers recently nothing over 2lb for a while.

Cheers

Ben

piker

« Reply #3 on: 14/09/2010 at 08:08 »
the big trout are now starting to get more agressive, i guess into pre-spawning mode

A mate of mine got a 5lber last week on a rapala and i got a 3lber on Sat on a flying C

If you want to catch them on the fly i think  a streamer...

otherwise a nice big spinner will do the trick ;-)

Stuart Smith

« Reply #4 on: 18/09/2010 at 06:56 »
i also read or heard not to long ago that there was a 14+ fish taken on the don but a 70 year old man but cant rember where

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com