Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Today the fishing gods were kind.
« on: 10/09/2010 at 21:20 »
Went on a solo mission up north today. Its a loch I have fished before and I'm sure some of you will recognise. Landed two fish and they were both crackers. Fought like demons both of them and both showing kypes.
First one was 2.7lbs second 2 exactly.

Jim Eddie

Re: Today the fishing gods were kind.
« Reply #1 on: 10/09/2010 at 21:29 »
Cracking fish Noel well done  :z16

:z18

Jim

Dave Mundie

« Reply #2 on: 10/09/2010 at 21:51 »
Yeh well done those are butes  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 10/09/2010 at 22:48 »
Hi Noel
Cracking photos ...... excellent stuff :z16

Cheers
Mike

« Reply #4 on: 13/09/2010 at 12:11 »
Cracking fish!! looks like you had a great day.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 13/09/2010 at 12:40 »
Hi Noel

I have been seriously considering gradually moving Haddo over to a brown trout only water ( this has always been my dream ) the implications of the fishing being a tad harder for a stocked fishery are my main concern, the fact that brownies cost three times as much to stock another and the fact that browns will often switch off totally yet another concern, but would folk be keen enough to fish for browns and be willing to accept lower catch numbers and smaller fish etc etc? ............. I must confess that your photos do get my adrenalin going! Cool :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 13/09/2010 at 15:36 »
Thanks for the comments guys, yes it was great to connect with those two but overall it was a tough day. They were the only two that stuck and had long periods with not a touch or sign of fish.

Alrigh Mike bit damp at Haddo today eh. It would be great to fish for loch brownies close to home. I presume it would be c&r due to costs?
I have never fished for stocked browns and would wonder how they react to fishing pressure and temperature extremes. I could imagine the buggers skulking around the weed and not playing ball.

Anyone any experience of fishing for stocked brown trout?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 14/09/2010 at 15:40 »
Mike, as I am sure you are aware, Haddo (or Keithfield) was a Brown trout only water when Shell originally had the lease. I think they started to stock after a few years though.

I believe most of the Brownies were stunted things, which I guess proves the water is more than suitable for Brownies.

How about sticking in 10 big carp as well...they are having fun with Carp on the fly at Glen of Rothes :)

As for fishing the place, I love Brownies, but from a financial view, could you survive? How much would a ticket be?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 14/09/2010 at 15:56 »
Hi Rob :z16

Yes, it was stocked with brownies years ago, I'm not stocking carp though, my otters are too good at fishing and the carp would quickly disappear! :shock

If I did make this move at some stage in the future, it would also be on a C&R basis and permits would cost the same.

Thanks for your feedback
Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 16/09/2010 at 15:25 »
Thanks for the comments guys, yes it was great to connect with those two but overall it was a tough day. They were the only two that stuck and had long periods with not a touch or sign of fish.

Alrigh Mike bit damp at Haddo today eh. It would be great to fish for loch brownies close to home. I presume it would be c&r due to costs?
I have never fished for stocked browns and would wonder how they react to fishing pressure and temperature extremes. I could imagine the buggers skulking around the weed and not playing ball.

Anyone any experience of fishing for stocked brown trout?

Hi Noel :z16

Got some arriving next week :wink ........ it's nice to follow ones dreams :z3

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 16/09/2010 at 15:41 »
Hi Mike,
it would be wonderful to catch some big Brownies. Price wise I think that seems fair.

Many moons ago I used to fish Loch Saugh and this was stocked only with Brownies at first. I had a few overwintered fish to around 4 pounds and it was great, but it was also very hard going. I must confess that at least 50% of my fish came to the worm  :oops

Very few anglers fished there because it was so hard. About 10-15 years ago they started to stock with Rainbows and now the place is actually fished as its much easier. I do wonder how big the Brownies go in there now?

I saw an interesting article on a water in Cumbria that is not disimiler to Haddo. He placed a net across the middle of the water and stocked Rainbows in one side and Brownies in the other. People fished each half in about the same numbers but the Brownies proved harder to catch. Some of that was put down to the flies being used as they were more Rainbow orrientated but I think he eventually lifted the nets and went back to mixed. Worth trying??

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 16/09/2010 at 15:59 »
Hi Rob

Yes, my stocking policy will continue to be mixed. I have stocked browns before, but not for a couple of years :wink

Will be interesting to see how it goes :cool:

Cheers
Mike

John Reid

« Reply #12 on: 16/09/2010 at 16:40 »
I am personally looking forward to fishing for the brownies.  It will definitely be more difficult but I think the sport will be much better.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out over the next year or so.

Best of luck Mike.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #13 on: 16/09/2010 at 16:45 »
Excellent Mike here's hoping its a great success. Could you ask them to take pulled wets please :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 16/09/2010 at 22:18 »
Yes, pulled wets can be written in to their handbook Noel :z4  :z4  :z4

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread by the way! :oops

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com