Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Adam

Don Salmon flies
« on: 04/09/2010 at 21:03 »
Hi guys,

I'm coming up from Edinburgh to fish the Don the week after next, I posted a query a few months back and got some very useful replies, thanks.

I'm after some tips on flies for Salmon if anyone can help? I've never caught one, but have never really fished for them, I catch Brownies and Sea Trout (sometimes!) on the Tyne in East Lothian...

I'll be staying quite near Inverurie so I thought I'd go to Sloans for some advice and buy some flies from them when I get there.

But I very much value the opinions of those who fish for Salmon on the Don regularly, and I'm itching to get prepared so thought I might stock up on a few flies before hand. (I really haven't got much in the way of Salmon flies!)

I realise it depends on the conditions, but could anyone maybe do me a wee list of some likely fly patterns, tubes, sizes, for the Don for this time of year ?

Thanks v much

Adam

Hamish Young

Re: Don Salmon flies
« Reply #1 on: 05/09/2010 at 11:20 »
Any competent tackle shop should be able to provide you with a selection of suitable patterns in the right sizes.
Naturally, a lot will depend on water heights and colour - so you might need something of a broad canvas of patterns in different sizes to cover most conditions.
Willie Gunns, cascades/allys etc in a variety of colours and sizes are a worthwhile purchase, as would be a selection of sunray shadows or monkey type flies.
In truth, in my opinion, presenting at the right depth is as important as the pattern. So maybe the question is not what patterns to buy but which leaders/fly line to use.

:z3

Andy

« Reply #2 on: 05/09/2010 at 14:32 »
what beat you going on?

Adam

« Reply #3 on: 05/09/2010 at 19:06 »
I have three days booked on Manar, and the other two days I'm there was just gunna see wheres best to go at the time. Maybe Alford/Kintore. I'll be staying kind of between Alford and Inverurie.

I've got a floater and an intermediate, and a sink tip...

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com