Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

John Reid

Loch Leven
« on: 31/08/2010 at 13:25 »
Good afternoon folks.

I have booked a days fishing on Loch Leven on Monday and I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on flies and fishing methods for here.

Hopefully there will be some of the famous brown trout on the go.  :grin

Jim Eddie

Re: Loch Leven
« Reply #1 on: 31/08/2010 at 14:10 »
John

I fished it in July with no success, I belive anchoring and fishhing buzzers has been the most productive method.

Here is the latest report all be it out of date.

http://lochlevenfisheries.co.uk/willie.htm

:z18

Jim

Steven Kidd

« Reply #2 on: 31/08/2010 at 17:27 »
Hi John,

I fished Leven on the 12th June, had a great day fishing buzzers, check out my report in the 'fishing reports' section.

Also check out last months 'Trout and Salmon', the article explains exactly the technique we were using.

The best of the buzzer fishing is probably past now however.  During June there was excellent water clarity which made for bumper catches.

The water clarity has reduced through August, and the last I heard, the current best method is fishing traditionals pulled and hung on the bob.  Wet flies such as Invicta on the point, Kate McLaren on middle and something full hackled on the bob should work well.

The fish are probably hunting the perch fry at the moment.  I may PM you as I really must get another trip on Leven before the season ends.

Cheers,

Steven

John Reid

« Reply #3 on: 01/09/2010 at 11:05 »
Jim

Thanks for the link, things will probably have changed since then but it is a good starting point.  :z18

Steven

Thanks for the info. The report you compiled on your last visit is excellent. I will endevour to do something similar on Monday night. If you fancy a day out soon let me know and we can organise something as I have plenty of holidays to take between now and the end of the year.

I was thinking of using my 5 weight, do you think this is too light?  :z2

Steven Kidd

« Reply #4 on: 01/09/2010 at 16:27 »
John,

RE. the 5wt, it depends on the weather really, I always fish a 10ft rod from a boat on a big loch as it is usually windy.  Depends on what you are casting with as well.  I usually fish three flies, size 10's 12's and sometimes 8's!!

I am in Dunfermline at the moment and it is quite a nice day......

Cheers,

Steven

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 01/09/2010 at 17:55 »
John I have used a 5 weight and 3 weight for lough style on places as big as lough corrib and they were a pleasure to use.     Only reason I would use a heavier rod would be strong wind or I wanted to use my sinking lines which are all for the 7 weight.

John Reid

« Reply #6 on: 01/09/2010 at 20:38 »
Thanks Noel.

I was thinking of buying a sink tip line for the 5 weight for Monday incase the fish are deep.  Does anyone have experience with sink tip lines at lower weights?

Steven, Thanks for the update.  This could be an excuse for a new rod and lines!!!!

Barry Robertson

« Reply #7 on: 01/09/2010 at 21:34 »
From my experience on the loch i would advise you take a bit more than a sink tip!

If you were to ask the majority of people who are fishing the water just now what they are catching on it would prob be anything from a DI3 to a DI7 pulling wets and shuggies (humungus)!
kates, dabblers and snatchers are all worth a blast but if its a calm day dries and buzzers may also be worth a go!
Hope you have a good day out   :z18

John Reid

« Reply #8 on: 02/09/2010 at 22:27 »
Thanks Bigtroot

I am going to invest in a DI5 tomorrow.  I assume I will be able to buy Shuggies at the loch.

However, I really hope they are on the surface.  :grin

Barry Robertson

« Reply #9 on: 02/09/2010 at 22:32 »
I doubt you will be able to buy anything at the water  :z6 Cant mind of them selling anything to be honest except from an expensive cake  :grin
Any tackle shop will sell black and silver or black and gold humungus's!
Iam offshore the now otherwise i would of popped a couple variants in an envelope and sent them down to you  :z6
Hopefully you will get some top of the water sport i wont hold my breathe, let us know how it goes   :z18

John Reid

« Reply #10 on: 02/09/2010 at 22:51 »
I would attempt to tie these but my skill can only be described as "Barry White" at the moment but I suppose practice makes perfect.

I will get some over the weekend, I was in Sloans today looking for larger wets and the shuggies but the selection was pretty poor.

Any recommendations on where to buy flies either in Aberdeenshire or on the way to Leven?

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 02/09/2010 at 22:56 »
When passing through dundee, there is a shop called Anglers choice on the main road! Its on the way so just pop in there and they have everything you need!
http://www.anglerschoice.eu/index.php

Barry Robertson

« Reply #12 on: 06/09/2010 at 20:30 »
How did it go John??

John Reid

« Reply #13 on: 06/09/2010 at 22:57 »
I did ot get on the Loch today as it was to windy and Willie wouldn't let the boats out.  :cry

We ended up at the fishery across from the services (heatheryfold?) and had a good day although casting was a challenge with the wind.

Even the Osprey was having issues.

Will just haveto try t get down another day before the end of the month.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #14 on: 06/09/2010 at 23:01 »
Iam home on friday for 3 weeks so might see if you fancy some company give me a shout!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com