Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Unsucessful Trip lochter
« on: 01/09/2010 at 19:55 »
Hi Folks

Had my first cast at lochter the other evening with no success. I tried pulling lures, Slowly retrieving Bloodworms and still work with Buzzers wiith no results. I tried both intermediate (catching weed) and floating but still no joy.

Does anybody have much expereince at lochter with any hints tips regarding Colours Patterns Depth and method the staff werent exactly forth coming with ideas to be honest!

Im still reletively new to fly fishing and only fished Haddo and Dalgatey before lochter. But i had decent results at both these venues.

Would really appreciate your help guys

Thanks

Shaun  :z4

Barry Robertson

Re: Unsucessful Trip lochter
« Reply #1 on: 01/09/2010 at 21:38 »
Everyone is entitled to have a crap session to be fair even the top anglers!
Was everyone else catching??
If i was at a water and no one else was catching i would stick it down to the fish not playing ball, otherwise i hold my hands up and admit to just not fishing well enough on that given day!
No mention of an orange blob! They normally go down a treat there  :z4

We cant catch fish all the time, guess you just had an off day :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 01/09/2010 at 22:05 »
Hi Shaun

Welcome to the forum :z16

Baz's point about other folks catching is a good one. If there are, then I don't think anybody minds being asked politely how they are catching them, as long as you don't start casting in to 'their spot' :wink

Conditions are pretty strange at the moment and my trout have been proving very dour from mid afternoon onwards, this has been the case for nearly a week. Quite good fishing in the morning and then it slowly switches off :z6

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 01/09/2010 at 22:09 »
Hi shaun,

If there are fish showing on the surface then dry fly would be my advice, beside the fact that it is (to me) the most visual and exciting way to catch fish it has the added bonus of you only having to think in two dimensions (your fishing an area instead of a volume) so fish lying depth is unimportant. At this time of year anything from a ripple to a chop would have me fishing daddies, hoppers (in black or claret) or Klinks - but I think any dry placed over a feeding fish will get some form of response. Calm water would have me either scaleing things down a little and using decent length leaders well greased.
Spend your session walking around the lochs watching fish feeding patterns & the direction fish are moving and stopping only to cast at 'target' fish. It's so easy to become rooted to a spot casting to a fish that's not interested or waiting for that wandering shoal to come to you.

As you say there are other methods to try - lures, wets, buzzers, nymphs, but IF there are fish showing on the surface then try the method above.

Good luck

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 02/09/2010 at 06:49 »
Hi Shaun last time I was there it was tough going. If you walk around both lochs in front of the hut you will see a few inflow pipes. These are good spots to pull a lure  :wink

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 02/09/2010 at 20:02 »
Shaun

Sounds like you were doing exactly the right thing , changing methods and depths, as the guys have said sometimes the fish are just no on. Water temperatures may still be a bit high, sport should improve point forward as the water cools.

:z18

Jim

« Reply #6 on: 02/09/2010 at 20:08 »
Thanks guys i really appreciiate all your advice.

Im at that point at the moment where im like a sponge soaking up all the information and advice everyone is offering.

Well most people around me seemed to be getting into at couple of fish. Maybe it was my bad day BigTroot or more likely my fishing wasnt up to scratch :z4 Il be sure to look out the orange Blob next Visit.

Thanks mike there was word of the fishing being slow from one of the other lads fishing so this could have been a factor. i suppose its just frustrating not catching and being a beginer couldnt help but think i was doing something obviously wrong!

Iain Ive never tried drys as of yet i plan to however not 100% sure on the tactic with drys. Do i fish them on there own or two flies? Im certainly going to pay more attention to the fish feeding patterns and there movement where possilbe i suppose this is assential for good results.

Chuileog i will be sure to try out these inflow pipes i never even thought about that  :z17

Well thanks again guys i really appreciate your information / Knowledge tight lines   :wink

Shaun  :grin

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com