Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Telescopic rod blanks - ideas?
« on: 21/01/2007 at 13:18 »
Not fly rod blanks, but anyone know where I can get my mitts on telescopic rod 'blanks'...... :?: Nothing heavy and about 18ft. Not for fly fishing per se but for dapping - I'm thinking something from the coarse fishing world might do the job.
Fancy making myself a new dapping rod as I can't stand the only one that's on the market (at the moment) and my pride and joy 18.5ft one was stolen years ago  :cry:

Stuart Smith

« Reply #1 on: 22/01/2007 at 08:51 »
i have used telescopic poles in about that length when i done alot of coarse fishing a few years ago.there cheape too.would be worth looking into

stuart

Kev Danby

Telescopics
« Reply #2 on: 22/01/2007 at 09:04 »
Hamish keep your eye on Lidl via their website over the last couple of years they have had offers on for telescopic carbon rods in that length.

Not sure of the quality but might be worth a visit to check them out I think the sold for approx £30. They did look slimmer and finer tipped than the shakespear one.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 22/01/2007 at 09:57 »
Hamish,
As said above, you will get a carbon Whip about that long, but where you would get the eyes I have no idea!!

However, Shimano, Garbolino and several other manufacturers all do telescopic "Bolongnaise" rods of 15 to 25 feet that would make fantastic dapping rods!!!

Here is a link to the Shimano ones...loads to choose from

http://fish.shimano-eu.com/catalog/fish/products/accessories/accessory_category.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302044382&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181626&bmUID=1169459697612

I used to use a pole for upstream worming on my local burn....and also tried "dapping" naturals such as Daddy Long Legs etc. So funny watching the elastic shoot upstream..hehe

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 22/01/2007 at 11:43 »
Interesting stuff chaps - my much missed rod was a Shimano telescopic that I 'tweaked' a bit so squinting at their current range has given me a pointer for where I may go shopping :wink: Troble is all the ones Shimano list are a bit 'garish'... I'd like somthing a smidgen more subtle  :shock:  

Hadn't considered Lidls....... I'll check on their website for updates  :idea:

Jim Doyle

« Reply #5 on: 25/02/2007 at 11:19 »
I,ll check upstairs during the week , there are about a dozen poles up there so might be able to give you one to play with.  jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com