Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

stickleback

Beach snook in Florida
« on: 16/08/2010 at 23:46 »
On the annual family pilgrimage to Florida I made the inevitable visit to BassPro and bought a TFO 9’ #8 TiCRr X rod, Lamson Konic 3.5 and Rio Bonefish line to do a wee bit of salt water flyfishing during the second week of the holiday when we were going to the Gulf Coast near Sarasota.

Once we got there I tried wade fishing a couple of times over grass flats.  I had a bit of a sphincter clenching moment when I was waist deep and saw a large dorsal fin about 50 yards away coming towards me.  After a few seconds I breathed a sigh of relief when I realised it was a dolphin.  I didn’t touch anything on either session so decided to do a wee bit of research on tackle and tactics on the internet.  Whilst doing so I discovered a local guide’s website for, amongst other things, fly fishing for snook from the beach.  I phoned the guide, Steve Gibson, who told me the conditions weren’t good but if they improved he’d take me out.  The evening before my last day he phoned and said everything was looking good for the final morning of my holiday.

I met up with him at 7am, and was on a quiet beach by 7.30am.  Steve advised the hot spot was about a mile along the beach so off we set on foot.  I never saw a fish en-route, but exactly where Steve said the fish would be, there they were.  Local knowledge wins again.  There were umpteen small schools of snook cruising the shallows just a few feet in from the edge of the beach.  You could only see them when the sun was really shining – if it was obscured by a cloud the fish were so well camouflaged they just seemed to merge into the sand.

Although there were loads of snook in the hot spot (which was a stretch of beach about half a mile long) they were easily spooked and you had to get your fly near them and working as soon as it touched the water.  It took me a while to put everything together the way Steve was telling me.  When I did I had an awesome take – all I saw was a huge white gaping maw appear from nowhere and engulf the fly.  It nearly wrenched my arm off and broke 20lb leader in under 1 second.  A while after that I got a couple of smaller snook, one at around 3lb, the better at 5lb.  They went like rockets, and the larger one made several good runs that had the new reel screaming. 

Great fun and I've learned a new style of fly fishing which I'll definitely use again.  If you’re ever in the Sarasota area, I’d highly recommend Steve as a guide.  http://www.kayakfishingsarasota.com/index.html

Cheers

Cammy

Mike Barrio

Re: Beach snook in Florida
« Reply #1 on: 17/08/2010 at 00:03 »
Excellent stuff and cracking photos! ..... that looks like a lot of fun Cammy :z16

Thanks for sharing :cool:
Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 17/08/2010 at 08:07 »
Magic stuff Cammy

I'm dead jealous and just goes to prove the value of a guide.
When i was in West Palm last October, i was trying to catch Snook and never saw any :cry
I did manage a few blue fish and small milkfish doing things the same way you were. :z16
Wicked good fun :z12
Next time i intend to get a couple of guided days to catch myself a snook and perhaps a tarpon or 2.

Nice pictures, my camera got soaked by the waves :z6 so i never got to record anything :cry
the memories are good though :z3

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 17/08/2010 at 17:53 »
Great pictures Cammy.

Nice on a rainy day here.

Iain

John Reid

« Reply #4 on: 17/08/2010 at 18:14 »
Great pictures.

Looks like great fun.  I don't think it will be anything like that at Balmedie!  :z4

stickleback

« Reply #5 on: 17/08/2010 at 19:06 »
Yes, it was suberb, but I was melting in the heat which was in the mid 90s Fahrenheit with 95% humidity.  I tanned about 2 litres of water in a oner when I got off the beach - I felt like one of the cast in Ice Cold in Alex....but without the beer  :z4

I couldn't get over how close the fish were to the shore.  Standing at the edge of the wash I could have poked them with the tip of my rod.  About 50 yards out there were lots of tarpon rolling on the surface, and as we walked back along the beach towards the car a baracuda that was at least 4 feet long was cruising the beach parallel to and at exactly the same pace as us whilst about 20 feet from shore - I'm not sure who was watching who  :shock.

If I go back to the same area next year I'll hopefully be able to navigate my own way to the hot spot. :wink

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 17/08/2010 at 21:06 »
Very nice Cammy, a lovely looking fish. I'm dying for some fishing like that. I have seen boat loads of snook/snoek in South Africa but they don't look much like that fella. Think its a generic term for several species :z8 They are very popular eating there and damn fine they are.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 18/08/2010 at 15:10 »
Great report Cammy  :z16

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com