Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Irvine Ross

My new rod
« on: August 13, 2010, 17:28:08 PM »
Not had much time to get out to play recently (had the builders in) but in the few moments between slapping paper and paint on the wall I have assembled my new weapon for sea trout and single handed salmon fishing.

I built it on a CTS 10' #7 blank. Just hope it's as good as my 13' double hander. Now I need to get a line or two sorted.

cheers
Irvine

Jim Eddie

Re: My new rod
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 19:11:55 PM »
Looks good Irvine  :z16

:z18

Jim
"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 19:45:29 PM »
Yes, that's looking grand Irvine ...... excellent stuff :z16

Best wishes
Mike
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 19:57:49 PM »
Is that the material for Iains new Jacket you have in the background  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

:z18

Jim
"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

Goolager

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 20:40:08 PM »
Just as well I'm thick skinned James  :z7 :z4

Looking good Irvine  :z16 Hopefully it'll get christened in the next wee while.

Iain

Ben_D

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 21:52:05 PM »
Not had much time to get out to play recently (had the builders in) but in the few moments between slapping paper and paint on the wall I have assembled my new weapon for sea trout and single handed salmon fishing.

I built it on a CTS 10' #7 blank. Just hope it's as good as my 13' double hander. Now I need to get a line or two sorted.

cheers
Irvine

Looks good Irvine, I like that 13' you built  :grin  Get a Rio i Line for SH salmon & sea trout, best easily available line for the job unless you want to make a head but still, the iLine is easier to handle.  I've one that should suit on a reel if you would like to borrow it to try.

Cheers

Ben

Irvine Ross

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 12:34:08 PM »
Gents

You are all too kind. As for the tablecloth, it's supposed to resist red wine stains so now we know why Iain's jacket is made of the same material :z12

Ben
I expect to be passing through Banchory sometime next week, maybe Thursday so I will drop in to the shop then.

cheers
Irvine

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 08:57:14 AM »
Ahem..stop using my trademark blue thread ;)

Glade someone else thinks the blue looks good against the grey blanks!!

Lovely build, keep it up :)
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 09:31:05 AM »
Ahem..stop using my trademark blue thread ;)

Glade someone else thinks the blue looks good against the grey blanks!!

Not the only one it seems :wink

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/fly/rods/nrx_rods/0.html

Wonder who has the strongest claim to trademark :z7

Sandy
John Geirach 1999 "Millions of trout have died of old age before i could catch them and there's not a damn thing i can do about that"

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 12:11:46 PM »
Me!!!!!..lol

I can claim it as far back as when Hardy brought out the Elite range of rods ;)

I was talking to Andy Murray having just broken a 9 weight prototype that he had taken to Farlows and I suggested that the blank would look better firstly in one piece  :z4 and secondly with blue whipping.

When the production model came out, it was whipped in dark blue :)

Note to salesmen, do not hand me a rod and then tell me to "bend into it" if you are holding the tip...coz I will ;)

Irvine Ross

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 13:31:49 PM »
Ahem!

Between Rob, Garry Loomis and myself, I bet I am the only one who can say that every rod ever built by me has blue thread whippings. :z12

I think that is the true measure of a  trademark, don't you  :wink

Irvine

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 15:10:54 PM »

Between Rob, Garry Loomis and myself,

And Hardy's, thanks to Rob :z14

But i bet your right :z18

:z4 :z4 :z4

Nice looking rod by the way Irvine :z16

Sandy
John Geirach 1999 "Millions of trout have died of old age before i could catch them and there's not a damn thing i can do about that"

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 08:41:29 AM »
And Hardy's, thanks to Rob :z14

Sandy, must all have been me...I have such influence over the tackle trade  :roll  :z4 The prototypes were in a dark brown that looked, how do you Scottish folk say..."Boggin"

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum

All content on this website is copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk