Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Michael Buchan

Menteith,Braan,Marlee, Beanie
« on: 02/08/2010 at 19:36 »
Hi guys,

Haven’t posted for a while so here's my weekend adventures. My  wife was away in London so took Friday off packed the car with tent and fishing stuff and headed off  :grin.
Friday I tried the Lake of Menteith for the first time always fancied trying it conditions looked pretty good dull, a bit of drizzle and a bit of wind.  Saw a few fish swimming upwind backs completely out of the water like mini sharks which was cool.  Also saw what must have been a pike chasing baitfish as the water was just a foam little silver fish flying everywhere.  Had a great day and will defiantly be a back end result was a blank tho rose 5 or 6 and hooked 3 but lost each one. Stunning place. :z16

Saturday saw me fishing the river Braan stunning river the permit covers almost the whole river for £5.  Started off fishing beside the rumbling bridge which is a stunning gorge rose only one fish but just the coolest little section to fish climbing up and down the rocks fishing the little pockets was ace.   only one fish rose to the fly in the gorge part. 

Afterwards went up to Amulree and fished, great fishing every time you put the fly down the seam a wee brownie would try and nab it. 

Has anyone fished the loch at the head of the system loch ? I drove up for a look and saw a few fish rising from the road would be perfect for the tube can get the car right up to it.

Finished fishing the Brann at 5 after crawling around rocks and stuff all day I was knackered but after a fish supper felt better so had a cast at Loch Marlee beside blairgowrie for pike to try out my new 10 weight , hoping to do a bit of pike fishing.  Stunning loch shame most of the pike have been removed for the table, every opening on the bank had a campfire a few guys and a ton of beach casters aiming towards the loch. So wasn’t expecting much thought I might manage to get to some places with the inflatable kayak that the bank anglers couldn’t reach.  Had a good paddle round and a cast in a few likely looking places but no luck.  Good way to get around will defiantly be using it more allot faster than the float tube just not as comfy.

Sunday morning I headed off to Loch Beanie speaking to Jim he mentioned the hill at the start was the worst of the walk,  Looking at it from the car I though it didn’t look to bad so decided to take the float tube.  By the time I reached the top thought I was going to die.  In the end was well worth it brilliant day, stunning scenery and lovely trout.  Wasn’t having much luck until I paddled across to the upwind side of the loch across from the boathouse.  The odd times the wind dropped little grey sedges started hatching and the trout started going nuts caught a few up to 3/4lb and missed twice as much.  Most were taken on small green sedge fly and a little F fly.  Startled a grouse on the way back  almost s*** myself.

All in all a great weekend got to try 4 new venues each of which i'd happily fish again.  Shame its back to work roll on the weekend.

Barry Robertson

Re: Menteith,Braan,Marlee, Beanie
« Reply #1 on: 02/08/2010 at 20:08 »
Great report mate, i was on menteith today and it also was not the easiest!
Nice to see the boat house being finished at Beannie  :z18

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 02/08/2010 at 20:18 »
Lovely report with great pics. Nice variety of waters you fished. Excellent stuff :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 02/08/2010 at 20:52 »
Great report  :z16 Thanks for sharing , that hill is decieving  :z4

:z18

Jim

John Reid

« Reply #4 on: 02/08/2010 at 21:25 »
Looks like you had a really good weekend in a beautiful part of the country.

I feel like packing my tent in the car and heading away myself.  :z2

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 02/08/2010 at 21:54 »
Hi Michael ...... that makes for great reading and lovely photos .... Thanks for posting! :z16

Inflatable kayaks, what next? COOL :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 02/08/2010 at 23:45 »
Hi Michael,

nice weekend man  :z16

Cracking photo's and venues.........................so you are on a physical par with Jim? a man twice your age?  tut  :z4

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com