Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Re: Sea or Brown trout
« Reply #15 on: 22/07/2010 at 11:18 »
Hi Stewart funny you say that about the way brownies play nearly all of my decent fish have been very acrobatic. 

darren78

« Reply #16 on: 22/07/2010 at 11:19 »
Hi Gents

Thanks again for all the replies. It is interesting reading and a few tips have been taken for the next time :z18

Piscator on hooking the fish it was a bit of both first it headed fast down river (Good to finally hear a screaming reel :z16) it splashed around then went screaming up river staying down near the bottom, it was on being close to landing it that it started heading for the rocks. Here is another picture that is in focus with no rod as a guid to the size it measured 20" Still a crap photo i no sorry.

Richard Tong

« Reply #17 on: 22/07/2010 at 19:17 »
Stewart,

Depends on the individual fish. Some leap a lot,some run a lot,some do a bit of both,some bore around at short distance but don't run much at all. The hardest fight I had this year was a 20 1/4" Don trout,caught while feeding on Olive Uprights which went 3lb 1oz (yes I know I said the lightest 20" Trout we had caught was 3lb 2oz but that was before looking in my records,in fact my mate caught one at Alford which was 2lb 15oz a few years ago). It shot off instantly to the other side of the river which had a good flow in this part,I got it fairly close quite quickly but I bet it took me 5mins to land it,despite piling on pressure it just would not come in. It jumped quite a few times too. My arm was aching when I landed it-many of these fish are pure muscle!

Richard

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com