Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

adambrain

saltwater flies
« on: 20/07/2010 at 20:20 »
Hello, well I am being sent away with work and moving to libya, im told lots of people fish from the rocks on the coast. i know saltwater flies are a fair bit bigger than trout flies but seem to be quite light, question is will i struggle to cast them on a #7 9'6"?
Ideally id buy a bigger rod but cant afford one till i get back on my first leave.

cheers adam.

Ben Dixon

Re: saltwater flies
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2010 at 20:59 »
Hi Adam,

Your rod will probably cope, what size are the flies and what will you be fishing for?  The line is more important than the rod, for chucking heavier stuff you should get a line with a shorter head and a short blunt front taper.

Cheers

Ben

adambrain

« Reply #2 on: 20/07/2010 at 22:10 »
yeh i was hoping to get some advice on line thanks. the fish will be mainly snapper, trevally and small (hopefully) grouper that kind of stuff, i dont think they are going to be huge so think the rod should be ok.
will look into lines and wanna shop around for flies, will prob take materials with me to tie my own to mimic the baitfish.
will defo post some pics will be interesting to see what happens and hopefully wont be posting pics of my rod made into a 4 piece rather than a 3 piece. thanks ben

adam

Stuart Smith

« Reply #3 on: 21/07/2010 at 22:08 »
when i was in oz u got alot of fish on mikes 5 weight.even had a couple of bone fish up to 6lb or so.most of the fish were trevally,snapper and taylor up to about 5lb and the rod coped fine

stuart

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 26/07/2010 at 09:08 »
Have a look on Tacklebargins for lines. They have a lot of discounted saltwater lines going cheap. I use the Airflo striper lines, but they are a cold water formula so wont work in the warm waters of Libya.

If I remember, the coast is pretty featureless and you would really need to get out in a boat to get the best fishing, although I am sure you will get fish in the esturies and harbours. If fishing off  a harbour, a fast sonk line and Clouser minnows should see you right.

As for rods..personnally if you are hitting Trevally and Snapper I would go up a few rod sizes. I used to us a 12 pound class boat rod for similer out in Brunei and they really put up a fight under the boat.

From the shore is a different matter as the fish will most likely be smaller.

I have a 9 weight semi built saltwater rod if you are interested. I would be looking for about £180 and for that you will get to choose finish, rings, whippings etc.

adambrain

« Reply #5 on: 26/07/2010 at 20:28 »
cheers for the info guys i think the best thing to do is just get there first and scope things out, i ll take a rod with me and get a suitable line for the climate,

I have a 9 weight semi built saltwater rod if you are interested. I would be looking for about £180 and for that you will get to choose finish, rings, whippings etc.
[/quote]
rob, i ll be back breifly in october and mabe give you a heads up on your offer.

thanks again adam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com