Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Orvis rod opinions wanted
« on: 20/01/2007 at 21:37 »
Anyone here used an Orvis Powermatrix rod?? Any opinions??

I am looking for a new 9 weight for Pike and Orvis do one in this range for £205. Looked at lighter models in Banchory but thought the finish was pretty poor..they are getting a test rod in for me but was wondering if any of you lot had an opinion on Orvis??

Cheers

Actually Mike....have you got a 9 weight in your range???

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #1 on: 20/01/2007 at 22:10 »
Rob

I've tried a few tridents, they weren't bad.
Depends what you like though, not really my thing, but i know Hamish and Jingo like them a lot.
As for the heavy guns  :shock:
To deal with Orvis are very good, great back up and service.That counts for quite a bit in my book.

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 21/01/2007 at 11:48 »
Rob,
Not tried one of the new Orvis rods I'm afraid but can only agree about the finish of the latest Orvis rods, was in the same shop looking to see if anything 'interesting' in the sales (no surprise - there wasn't  :roll: ) and even the good lady wife remarked that the finish was poor for the price on the salmon rod I was gazing at :shock:
I thought you'd go down the road of a blank build up :?: Might be more options available to you that way  :idea:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 22/01/2007 at 09:20 »
Hamish,
You know what its like...you see something shiney...you have to have it!!!!..and NOW!!..lol

I have 4 blanks at home needing made up, one carp, two heavy Pike boat rods and a beachcaster....but no time.....

I am looking to build my own...but I can't decide on a blank. Alan Brown of Lennox rods has offered me in the past a lovely 9 weight blank at an exceptional price....but thats the only one I have found in the UK upto the job

unless anyone knows different :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com