Simon Bruce

Mill of Strachan
« on: 15/07/2010 at 02:03 »
Anybody fished this as i drove past it tonight :z8

Looked ok from the road.

Irvine Ross

Re: Mill of Strachan
« Reply #1 on: 15/07/2010 at 08:27 »
I fished it a few times but that was years ago.

The water is fairly shallow over most of the pond and you only ever caught fish if you were casting off the dam and at one other spot further round on the right. It was OK on a weekday evening but a bit boring for a full day.

I don't know what the rules are now but it was fly only on week days but at the weekends they allowed other methods. What happened then was that two guys with bubble floats would put out a long line from either end of the dam which stopped anyone casting off the dam wall.

There is a second pond further away from the road but it is completely ringed with trees and it was impossible to cast a fly from the bank.

Anyway, as I said, that was years ago and things may have changed.

Irvine

Andy

« Reply #2 on: 15/07/2010 at 19:52 »
The big loch you see from the road is any method, fly is a waste of time i would use a buble and sweet corn.

the smaller loch sorunded by trees is fly only and the fish are supposed to be alot bigger.  You can get a over head cast between some of the trees.

Simon Bruce

« Reply #3 on: 16/07/2010 at 02:27 »
Fished it tonight as i was heading back.

The fly only pond had nothing too write home about.

But the bait only pond was pretty good. Had a good scrap with with a 4 1/2lb rainbow (pictures coming soon).

When i learn how to use this new camera :oops

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com