Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Flies we hate to tie!
« on: 19/01/2007 at 17:28 »
I've just spent an hour tying flies

Normally i love doing this, but i was tying for a mate and the specified pattern just doesn't do it for me.

Got me thinking, perhaps this is why there are many very effective flies out there that i dont have in my box.
I love tying flies, but some flies really turn me off.

Anyone else have similar feelings about some patterns.

Sandy

Barry Robertson

Flies
« Reply #1 on: 19/01/2007 at 17:54 »
To be honest i just tie buzzers and hundreds of them!

Been offshore a week now and have around 80 more for the collection.
Ran out of black thread the other day and had to get some more from ebay and had to change my address to the rigs address. Not been tying for that long so i just stick to what iam decent at. 90% of the fish i catch are on buzzers so i dont see the point in tying big fluffy things. Tried a couple of your spider patterns so iam choking to get home now and wet my flee's.
One effective pattern i catch on when iam struggling is a wee yellow dancer on a size 14 hook or a small muddler. Is there any place that have fly tying classes that you know of?

Sandy Nelson

Flies we hate to tie!
« Reply #2 on: 19/01/2007 at 19:51 »
Baz

Did you see this post? http://fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=281
It isn't that far from you when you are at home.

Sandy

Hamish Young

Flies we hate to tie!
« Reply #3 on: 19/01/2007 at 20:46 »
Hmmmmm tricky  :idea:  the Silver Invicta because although it's one of my favourite flies I can never get one 'just right'  - it's the perfectionist in me you understand  :grin:
Other than that fully dressed salmon flies because they take too damn long to tie  :roll:  Look nice though.....

Stuart Smith

Flies we hate to tie!
« Reply #4 on: 20/01/2007 at 04:59 »
there is a few flies i never use to tie.things like muddlers and sedge hoggs but i had a few in my box and tryed them last summer when i was in orkney and cleaned up and now i love tying them.also i didnt like using bright meterials in my flies but i now have i c and f fly box full of these flyes in things like bright pink and yellow.

i think its down to if u catch fish on them every trip it helps to sit down and make them

now when i fish for troots i always use these flys any time of year and i seem to get fish.

will try them over here in australia when i get to the snowy mountains next month and see if they work as well as back home

stuart :cool:

Mike Livingstone

Flies we hate to tie!
« Reply #5 on: 20/01/2007 at 08:46 »
Flies I hate to tie are ones people have asked me for and need them quickly!   There are flies I don't find the easiest but I don't think there are any types of flies I hate to tie.  Lately, I have been playing around with woven patterns and they proved there worth last time I was at Haddo.  Also been playing around with some Oliver Edwards patterns - they are good fun to tie but not quick ties!

I do get frustrated with flexifloss and muddler style flies.

Sandy Nelson

Flies we hate to tie!
« Reply #6 on: 20/01/2007 at 09:26 »
Funny everyone seems to be mentioning Deer Hair flies.

Thats the material i really dont like using, hence the original post.
I prefer CDC or snowshoe hare.

I guess thats what its about at the end of the day. We are all different :z16

Hurrah for that. :grin:

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

Flies we hate to tie!
« Reply #7 on: 20/01/2007 at 21:30 »
Dalberg bloody Divers...need i say more??

Getting the head just right so it does not spin on the cast is a pain

they are too tiny!
« Reply #8 on: 23/01/2007 at 12:36 »
i HATE tying small klinkhgammers! infuriating when the the hackle slips from the pliers!!! my fingers are a good cast from delicate so these little beauties can take upto 30 mins each and after two its time for a coffee a cigarette and finding something else to tie!!

still do it though cos they work. especially all white for still waters on a suimmers eve as the light fades ahhhh bring on summer!!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com