Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

I have been trying to get onto the website to report poaching activity on the Cowie but the site is down. Can someone please pass on the following..thanks...

Thursday evening around 9pm a 3 strong group from the Gypsy caravans went down into the sea pool of the Cowie with 2 cheap spinning rods. They proceeded to fish/rip up and down the pool using mepps and what looked like a treble festooned lump of lead.

I played it carefully as they were drinking heavily and asked if they had a ticket. At that stage I retreated as i was threatened in no uncertain terms. I called the Police but was informed they had no officers available to deal with the matter and to report to the controlling club (which I cant as the website is down)

Work took me to Stonehaven today so I went down for a look. Two of the characters were fishing again, one with worms, the other with his "ripper".

I am not sure who I should be telling but I know some of the SDAA are on this site.

Regards
Rob

Jim Eddie

Re: FAO of any Stonehaven and District members. Urgent
« Reply #1 on: 02/07/2010 at 19:43 »
Rob

I think Lyall (gunner100) is a member , try PMing him

:z18

Jim

ythanfisher

« Reply #2 on: 02/07/2010 at 20:21 »
Rob.

Part of the Dee District Salmon Fishery Board area - phone 01339 880411 or e-mail info@riverdee.org

Regards.

Alec.

gunner100

« Reply #3 on: 02/07/2010 at 20:40 »
Rob and jedi,

The committee of the SDAA are aware of the problem. We just about got two of the miscreants earlier on in the week. We do have river watchers with night sights for use in the dark and serious poaching is targeted. even the beach from the harbour to north of the swimming pool is watched as the SDAA has the exclusive rights to fish for salmon and sea trout on this stretch.

Many thanks for the info. It has been passed on.

Don't know why you found the SDAA web site was down as I have been on it regularly this last few days. I had  a problem of access earlier this year when I got a new laptop using Windows 7. You had to use the Compatibility facility on your box to access the site.

Ta,

Lyall

gunner100

« Reply #4 on: 02/07/2010 at 20:52 »
PS to above- Was in Stoney this lunchtime. There was a massive convoy of 10 + caravans and LGV's leaving the town. The council's application for eviction has obviously been successful.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 02/07/2010 at 20:55 »
Looks like they are in Montrose now  :shock

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 02/07/2010 at 21:07 »
Looks like they are in Montrose now

At least they are home now.  :grin

I wish them all they deserve - the thieving, disease infested, leeching, anarchic, anti-social, scum! :mad

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 02/07/2010 at 21:43 »

At least they are home now.  :grin

I wish them all they deserve - the thieving, disease infested, leeching, anarchic, anti-social, scum! :mad

That tarmac was a sound job boss, and at a good price. Wasn't our fault any of that stuff that happened and all me cousins agree.  
As for this fishing thing, sure we were only were giving our pet worms a swim. We cant help it if one of them sea trout attack poor ould wiggly. Poor ould wiggly, jasus now ye have me upset.

gunner100

« Reply #8 on: 02/07/2010 at 21:48 »
Looks like they are in Montrose now  :shock

Big Troot,

The 10 or so vans and LGV's I saw were heading north on the A90 from Stoney. Goodness knows where they were heading. Why are some of their activities so anti- social. I heard that that they were using some of the washing and shower facilities in the static caravan park adjacent to their illegal site. They were even taking large containers to the showers to fill them up with hot water!!

Lyall

Dave Mundie

« Reply #9 on: 03/07/2010 at 01:36 »
I know they are a pain and leave a mess for others to tidy up(I'm not defending them).
We joe public are to blame though because they wouldn't be around our homes if nobody gave them work that's the only reason they hang around, no work equals no money so have to move on somewhere else to find work. Simples  :wink

Dave

salar35

« Reply #10 on: 03/07/2010 at 21:58 »
I have been trying to get onto the website to report poaching activity on the Cowie but the site is down. Can someone please pass on the following..thanks...    I am not sure who I should be telling but I know some of the SDAA are on this site. Regards Rob

Hi rob

Thank you for this update and for intervening to prevent what was going on. Took a bit of bottle. We had three separate encampments in Stoney.....all illegal. Despite the existence of perfectly valid legislation to get rid of them (Trespass (Scotland) Act 1865 etc), the police "standard operating procedures" dictate against police acting to move on such encampments unless their presence is accompanied by substantial disorder/thefts etc. What a fiasco.

Our river watcher and I had intercepted this bunch of minkers on four nights in succession at the Cowie Estuary Pool..........they had bought three visitor permits in probably dubious names (everyone there seems to be "Mr Price") and were fishing there en masse, professing the usual ignorance of the salmon laws. We had to balance our deep desire to simply nick the scum, against the almost certain fact that on leaving Stoney, they would do serious harm to that pool by presenting it with a tin of Cymag or similar. In the event (as Lyall has said) they left after a court order was made against them......but no doubt others will take their place.

Best point of contact to report such poaching is the Dee Board number at 013398-80411 which is automatically redirected to the on-duty bailiffing team. who will involve the police if necessary. Or me as club secretary on 07718-748048 as I know the contact numbers and can provide a swift SDAA response.

The club website has no immediate forwarding facility and is best not used for that purpose.....incidentally if the site problem was a "banned user-agent" message (usually related to the user upgrading to Internet Explorer 8) simply got to "Tools" and drop down to and click on "compatibility view". Thanks agin, Rob!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 05/07/2010 at 09:32 »
I believe they have pitched up at Queens Links. I bet the Don Estury is going to be getting some visitors.

And yip.."Banned Agent" message on the website. I will use Firefox in the future.

Hope they did not do too much damage.

Rob

Chiz

« Reply #12 on: 05/07/2010 at 09:39 »
My girlfriend and I were in Stonehaven at the weekend and there were still some caravans parked up beside the river (about 5).

There are also about 30 caravans parked up opposite Burger Kind down the beach........ It's terrible!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com