Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Anyone off to the Game Fair this weekend?
« Reply #15 on: 05/07/2010 at 12:34 »
Ben/Hamish,
I take it you were camping then? Around a camp fire singing Ging Gang Gooley by any chance?

You are taking this "Guiding" too seriously..lol

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 05/07/2010 at 12:42 »
So ...... what was the best of the game fair then? Apart from the Orvis stand and the beer tent of course :z4

Cheers
Mike

Dissapointed not to see a Barrio stand!

Years ago you used to get the British manufacturers there, Hardy, Greys, Bruce and Walker etc..now nothing. They are really missing a trick if you ask me.

Never really found anything interesting as such. All pretty run of the mill products and prices along with a few shops selling off tat that they could not sell in the shop.

However I did bump into an old fishing Pal from Norfolk who now runs Angling Direct Holidays :) So I am off to France for some big catfish soon.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #17 on: 06/07/2010 at 00:37 »
I did not really rate the Totty Factor

What!
Do you want your 'Right Said Fred' tape back anytime soon?!!

:z7 :grin

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 06/07/2010 at 08:51 »
Iain,
I am used to the totty at the Lonach Gathering...on a whole different level ;)

Hamish Young

« Reply #19 on: 06/07/2010 at 10:51 »
OK, so having gone through my mobile 'phone the following are the only clean/safe pics to post of the Game Fair :z7

This was base camp (a proper man-sized tent :!) which was surprisingly comfortable and one of my better purchases..... despite protestations from some fronts suggesting I had simply brought a 2 bedroom house with me it wasn't the biggest tent on site by far. We had a bit of an 'anglers corner' with Jim and Tony from Guide Fly Fishing next door, not sure what the neighbours thought of us casting after hours but the fried spam, egg and cheese rolls on the Friday night were epic :cool:

Having found my favourite beer in the food tent (pretty much anything from the Black Isle brewery http://www.blackislebrewery.com/ ) Ben decided that in order to better demonstrate how I could improve my balance whilst single handed spey casting a prop of some kind was necessary...... it worked  :z4

And finally on Sunday a very deserted fishermans row as every sane mortal took cover from thunder/lightening/pissing down rain. If it had got any heavier we could have done demos on the road......

Great fun, roll on 2011 :z15

As a wee aside I visited a small tent on fishermans row, within was a good selection of second-hand fishing books from a new shop shortly about to open at Bridge of Cally. Nice guy (Andrew I think) runs it, they have recently relocated to the area. Have a look at his website www.riverthoughtfulfishingbooks.co.uk once the shop is opened properly it's handily on the way to Perth and will doubtless have plenty of goodies :z17

H  :z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #20 on: 09/07/2010 at 00:09 »
This was base camp (a proper man-sized tent :!) which was surprisingly comfortable and one of my better purchases..... despite protestations from some fronts suggesting I had simply brought a 2 bedroom house with me

Cool, I haven't bought one for years ....... What's new in the tent world then Hamish? What makes a good one?

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 09/07/2010 at 08:38 »
As a wee aside I visited a small tent on fishermans row, within was a good selection of second-hand fishing books from a new shop shortly about to open at Bridge of Cally. Nice guy (Andrew I think) runs it, they have recently relocated to the area. Have a look at his website www.riverthoughtfulfishingbooks.co.uk once the shop is opened properly it's handily on the way to Perth and will doubtless have plenty of goodies :z17

He had some excellent books and what was surprising for me was that some of my Carp and Pike books are worth a fortune!!! I have a first edition signed copy of Carp Fever, a book from the early 80's, and he had one for £450!!

Boost!

I wonder how much some of my rarer books are worth from the likes of BB and Richard Walker :)

Hamish Young

« Reply #22 on: 10/07/2010 at 08:55 »
Cool, I haven't bought one for years ....... What's new in the tent world then Hamish? What makes a good one?

I don't really know to be honest Mike, the Scone Game Fair represented only the 3rd, 4th and 5th nights I've ever spent under 'canvas'..... the previous two night being on my stag night(s) at the Loch Kinord Hotel nine years ago :z18

That said, I looked for a simple easy to put up design (almost succeeded), good hydrostatic 'head' and most importantly for me a tent you can be comfortable in - ie. stand up in with bedrooms. Finally, price. I had the advantage that the one I bought was reduced from £300+ to under a £100 on special offer, then had a 20% discount on it and on top of that I haggled a bit more off as it was an ex-display model :wink
The air bed I bought later was a much needed addition, glad I didn't have to sleep the weekend on a roll mat :z7

:z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com