Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Small Stillwater Tactics
« on: 27/06/2010 at 17:24 »
Quite interesting to watch again this year. Many folk will either fish pretty standard lures and damsels, or if they feel it might be a good idea to go smaller, they will fish buzzers and bloodworm.

Many will miss out one of the best tactics for this time of year, wee damsels, spiders, crunchers and hare's ears for example ...... small nymphs and wets ( 14s at Haddo ) fished quite quickly just under the surface :wink

When the fish are rising, try the above as well. If you are fishing dries and not getting good results, think about the surface, sometimes the fish will ignore flies that are "high & dry", try to get them sitting in the surface film and sometimes better still, just below the surface :wink

Cheers
Mike 

Stuart Smith

Re: Small Stillwater Tactics
« Reply #1 on: 27/06/2010 at 20:10 »
i was fishing today at den of ogil near forfar.normally small spiders and nymphs work just under the surface.its a great way to fish

but what happens when they dont?(like today)

at haddo last year it happened to me(everyone else was still catching) so sometimes it pays to think out of the box.i took off my flies and made up a leader with one fly that was a small zonker and it worked.i raked them in

so today i did the same gave them something they dont normally see in the form of a small jambo.its a sea trout surface wake lure(i never had the treble on the back)

i had about two dozen trout in a couple of hours.its sometimes worth a try

stuart

gunner100

« Reply #2 on: 27/06/2010 at 21:33 »
Stuart,

Twice this week thinking out of the box got me a fish after two hours on my local club water resulted in the occasional soft pull. On both occasions I looked into my "Irish" box. The first time I used a palmered Green Peter as a dry and caught first cast. Second time I tried an Olive Dabbler, again caught first cast. However despite using the same flies I never caught again on these flies.

The moral - you tell me.

LYALL

Chiz

« Reply #3 on: 28/06/2010 at 12:08 »
I'm absolutely DYING to try fishing something that's not a lure.

I've gone out and bought a couple small dry flies and that grease spray and leader line but i've not yet been fishing anywhere where the water has been still, or fish have been feeding off the top.

I would love to actually see a fish rise, take my fly and off it goes......... and comes back again into my net :)

Chiz

« Reply #4 on: 28/06/2010 at 12:09 »
I'm guessing with nymphs, buzzers etc, if you're fishing subsurface, just floating line and a subsurface leader would do the trick?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com