Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Kidd

Loch Watten
« on: 23/06/2010 at 23:33 »
Hi,

I've gone and booked myself a boat for the day on Loch Watten for the end of July.......anyone been there?, have any tips.

I am guessing you need a drogue or an anchor?

Cheers,

Steven

Stuart Smith

Re: Loch Watten
« Reply #1 on: 24/06/2010 at 00:30 »
ive never fished it but you will need a drogue.it is shallow so you will get fish from the margins to the middle.ive heard that sometimes the best fishing is a drift right down the middle

a friend of mine fishes it every year and he uses bushey flys and pulls.its ment to fish best in a big wave but thats normally the case on will trout waters

he said if you can get a motor because the wind can pick up very quickly and hes had to ditch the boat a few times before the got a motor(dont want to put you off)

i would love to fish it.will get there some day

Stuart

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 24/06/2010 at 07:44 »
Hi Steven, my best advise would be call to Hugo ross in Wick for a chat before you go out. He will advise on the best up to date tactics. If you are staying overnight arrange to drop back boat keys/motor in the morning as some of the best action can be the evening rise.   
I have never been there when its at its best but have had some lovely fish out of there and one blank!
You should fish a few more of the lochs while you are there, again Hugo is the best man to advise.

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 28/06/2010 at 07:46 »
I have fished Watten, a drogue would be handy :z17
Last time I was there shared a boat with Allan Liddle, he caught on a variety of flies including dries/emergers.
I caught on fairly standard loch flies but especially well on sedgehogs/hedgehogs roughly matched to the terrestrials hitting the water and the ubiquitous claret bumble :wink
It does indeed fish well all over, but the western end of the loch fished best when we were there and (as usual) pay attention to the margins.
Noel is quite right, a trip into see Hugo Ross is seldom a waste of time.

:z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com