Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Michael Buchan

Fishing Campsites
« on: 22/06/2010 at 13:00 »
I was wondering if anyone knew of any camp sites with fishing on site or within walking distance.  Something along the likes of Alford is ideal where you can grab a couple of hours here and there throughout the day.  Any suggestions?

Cheers

Michael

PS Fished Kintore last night got a few rises to a black klinkhammer, nothing  happening until 10:30 then a few fish started to appear.   

Noel Kelly

Re: Fishing Campsites
« Reply #1 on: 22/06/2010 at 13:05 »
Hi Michael that was you I spoke to at the bridge then? Had nothing big last night but did see 2. Few seatrout splashing later also but no joy.
Noel.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 22/06/2010 at 13:10 »
Glen Esk Caravan park has fishing onsite..all be it for coarse fish..but they also lease part of the North Esk if you fancy that.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 22/06/2010 at 13:29 »
Hi

There is a caravan site at Pitlochry with fishing on the Tummel

Also a Caravan site at Loch Watten

:z18

Jim

Michael Buchan

« Reply #4 on: 22/06/2010 at 16:06 »
Hi Noel yes that was me, thanks for the advice.  Spotted one really nice fish fished for it for half an hour but I couldn’t get it to take.  Unfortunately never say any sea trout good night out though.  Probably be back to give it another crack Thursday.

Defiantly going to try the Watten site.  First and only place I tried my float tube 6-7years ago was scared s***less ended up catching a couple fish from the bank, stunning looking trout.  Will have to see if the tube still works maybe try it at mikes for a starter

Wife’s never been to the highlands so were thinking of a weeks tenting maybe start at Ullapool work our way round the top so any suggestions welcome. 

Is there any Pike at Glen Esk?

Thanks

Michael

murph

« Reply #5 on: 23/06/2010 at 12:10 »
Hi there,

I was looking into taking the kids camping for a weekend and came across Haughton caravan site. They had a flier at reception that detailed the fishing opportunities within the surrounding area.

Sorry I can't be more specific but I didn't take the flier.

Paul.

Alex Burnett

« Reply #6 on: 23/06/2010 at 12:46 »
Michael

This link is well worth a look

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=300&rg=Scotland

Gives details of the Alford fishing.

Alex

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 23/06/2010 at 13:04 »
Hi Noel yes that was me, thanks for the advice.  Spotted one really nice fish fished for it for half an hour but I couldn’t get it to take.  Unfortunately never say any sea trout good night out though.  Probably be back to give it another crack Thursday.

Defiantly going to try the Watten site.  First and only place I tried my float tube 6-7years ago was scared s***less ended up catching a couple fish from the bank, stunning looking trout.  Will have to see if the tube still works maybe try it at mikes for a starter

Wife’s never been to the highlands so were thinking of a weeks tenting maybe start at Ullapool work our way round the top so any suggestions welcome. 

Is there any Pike at Glen Esk?

Thanks

Michael

Michael

I do not believe there are any Pike at Glen Esk but I beleive Loch Brandy in Glem Clova holds  Pike.

:z18

Jim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 28/06/2010 at 21:18 »
Cruachan Farm site on the North Bank of Loch Tay is O.K, more towards the West (Killin) end of the Loch which is know for it's pike but only about 15 mins drive from the east end which is reputed to be fairly good for trout.  Not really on your way though.

There are a couple of campsites where I have just been in Assynt, one at Achmelvich and another at Clachtoll which have decent fishing within about 15 minutes of each one.  If you are heading that direction wit a tent, take plently of insect repellent!!

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 30/06/2010 at 08:42 »
If you are heading that direction wit a tent, take plently of insect repellent!!

I will vouch for that..just back from Ullapool..midgey hell!!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com