Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kev Danby

Cork filler
« on: 19/06/2010 at 15:59 »
I was chatting to a pal yesterday and he is looking to do some minor repair to some cork handles using filler. Can any one recommend what he should use?
Thanks

Kev

Sandy Nelson

Re: Cork filler
« Reply #1 on: 19/06/2010 at 23:34 »
HI Kev

It can be tricky finding the right colour, but Pine is usually good :z16
any type of wood filler will do (i sometimes use plas-wood) it is only ever a temporary solution
and i don't like filling cork unless i have too.

cover the areas/fill the holes as required and wipe smooth, leave to fully harden (a day or so) and then lightly sand with 800, then 1200 grit sandpaper, once back down to the cork surface, finish by rubbing with a piece of plain white paper :wink

The trick is not to attack the surface of the cork witht he sandpaper, only to remove the excess film of filler.

Hope it works out fine :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 21/06/2010 at 11:11 »
Have a read of this article :) http://globalflyfisher.com/staff/lewis/grips/

Last section is the bit that will interest you the most.

Kev Danby

« Reply #3 on: 13/07/2010 at 12:20 »
Sandy/Rob

Thanks for the info.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 10/08/2010 at 11:35 »
Is there any thing that you guys would recommend to stop the filler falling out or to seal the cork with?

Cheers

Ben

David Norwich

« Reply #5 on: 10/08/2010 at 13:53 »
Is there any thing that you guys would recommend to stop the filler falling out or to seal the cork with?

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben,

If it is that bad, you should really take the time to cut out the bad parts with a craft knife, and glue in a sliver of good cork. Glue it in with polyurethane glue. Wrap it with some tape to hold it in place till dry. Trim it flush with the knife then sand it smooth.
If you really must apply a sealer, U40 make a cork sealer. Acrylic lacquer brushed into the fissures will do a similar job. I also offer a cellulose lacquer to rod builders principally for preserving the thread colour, but it works very well as clear filler adhesive when brushed into the fissures.

You will never make a silk purse out of a sows ear, but cutting out the bad bits is really the way to go though for the best results.

David.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 10/08/2010 at 21:46 »
Thanks David, it was more something to apply to the handles of new rods before use to help prevent filler loss before it happens.  None of my rods are so bad that I need to operate  :z4

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 11/08/2010 at 08:52 »
Thanks David, it was more something to apply to the handles of new rods before use to help prevent filler loss before it happens.  None of my rods are so bad that I need to operate  :z4

Cheers

Ben

Plastic shrink wrap? ;)

David Norwich

« Reply #8 on: 11/08/2010 at 08:59 »
Plastic shrink wrap? ;)

:z4  :z4  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com