Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Greedy bugger
« on: 18/06/2010 at 20:37 »
Had a funny incident today while fishing a local fishery. Tough going in the strong wind and the fish were not responding well to my efforts...
One of the fish I had early on played strangely and when I got it in saw it was missing a pectoral fin. Otherwise a nice trout.
Caught it on a tweaked buzzer. Two hours later on my next lap of the Loch caught it again on a Damsel twitched along the bottom :z8
Greedy or stupid....?

Dave Mundie

Re: Greedy bugger
« Reply #1 on: 18/06/2010 at 23:21 »
Funny that I was out on Wed night and caught one with a missing pectoral fin  :z8

Dave

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 21/06/2010 at 08:26 »
Ahhh, we all know thats impossible, after all, Trout don't survive if you put them back... :wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 21/06/2010 at 10:17 »

Greedy

Once while at Haddo in the tube, i played a fish into to hand ,on the dropper, I unhooked the fish and flicked the rod to get the line out of the way. The fish didn't leave the water and as soon as i let go of it, it swam straight along the line and grabbed the first thing it saw, which was the same dropper fly and proceded to strip the line back out of the rod, The fight was a bit quicker this time  :z7 Caught twice in a couple of minutes on the same fly :roll

So yes given the correct treatment, catching the fish does nothing to its greediness :z16

I love wee stories about fish like this, i often wonder just how many fish refuse a fly before you get the take you see ???

I'm sure it would surprise all of us

Sandy

rattrala

« Reply #4 on: 21/06/2010 at 16:19 »
Whilst salmon fishing o the Don very recently, Using a floating line and a small home tied silver stoats,I hooked a small brown trout, and saw it was around 6 inches in length. 

As I started to slowly hand line the fish in -  the fish started pulling back and bending the 15 ft rod !!

As lifted into this fish,trying to get it onto the reel, it slowly swam upstream towards me and as it neared the surface I saw a very nice brownie of around 3-4 lbs with my fish across it mouth.

I Lifted harder into the fish to see if it would let go - NO it wasnt going to give it up. I could see it was not  hooked by the small silver stoat fly which the 6" fish had in its mouth  , but just hanging on to this small brownie for all it was worth.
It was not until is had thrashed about on the surface for 1-2 minutes and was getting tired, that it decided to let go.

Only to grab the small trout again, before I had time to lift the small trout out of the water, thrashing about for another minute, before finally deciding to let it go. 

I then lifted the small 6" trout out of the water, unfortunately worse for wear. I unhooked it and put it back in the water, only to see the large brown trout chase in and grab it.

It then disappeared across the river.  GREEDY BUGGER!!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com