Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Tele-Ecosse

Help a novice with new kit!
« on: 17/01/2007 at 19:46 »
:grin: Hi Everyone
First time on the forum!

I have done a little trout fishing here in the NE & over in the west coast - got the bug!!

Recently I have been given a Daiwa 15' #11 double hander + reel.

I am looking for some advice on suitable line etc + possible tuition
Can anyone help?
Some advice on suitable practice rivers would be useful - local NE & not tooo expensive.

Cheers

Doug S :grin:

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #1 on: 17/01/2007 at 20:31 »
Hi Doug

Welcome to the forum.

Advice on salmon fishing, Hamish is your man for a start, i only ever catch them on trout flies, so I don't bother trying.
The Don has some reasonable beats, if you buy a season ticket (salmon fishing is much better value on a season ticket on the don than the trout is )

Depends where you want to travel to.

Inverurie/kintore would be a good starting point.

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 17/01/2007 at 21:21 »
Doug,
Welcome to the forum  :wink:  The choice of fly lines for salmon fishing is huge these days, exactly what model of Daiwa is it and where do you think you'll be fishing for Salmon the most :?: Both have a bearing on lines as does budget.
TuItion is readily available in the NE, where abouts are you based :?: all of the tackel shops in the area should be able to provide impartial advice.
Practice rivers - Don and Deveron are very affordable and offer a good mix of water.

Jay Scott

« Reply #3 on: 17/01/2007 at 22:09 »
Pop into Sloans, John will get you kitted up, hes knows what hes speaking about tackle and salmon ways.

Jay

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 19/01/2007 at 11:16 »
Quote from: "HAMISH"
provide impartial advice.

:grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Can think of one place that will insist you cannot catch a salmon unless you use a HArdy Angel  :wink:

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 19/01/2007 at 14:53 »
Quote from: "Rob"

Can think of one place that will insist you cannot catch a salmon unless you use a HArdy Angel  :wink:

You mean it's possible to catch salmon without Hardy tackle :?:  :wink:

Tele-Ecosse

« Reply #6 on: 23/01/2007 at 22:59 »
:grin: Thanks Everyone
I am based in Aberdeen so I guess the above suggestions are easy to get to.
I would like a decent line - I think it makes a bit of difference, but am unsure about floating, sinking etc
As i said the rod is 15' #11 with a Salmon reel - I'd like to give it a go if possible

On a slightly different note I noticed the Ugie is for sale - anglers requested to support a local buy out - Any one know anything about this

cheers

Thanks again for the interest

Doug S

Tele-Ecosse

« Reply #7 on: 23/01/2007 at 23:01 »
The Rod is a Daiwa Wilderness 15'

Doug S

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 24/01/2007 at 08:56 »
Doug,
If I recall correctly the Wilderness range has been received favourably  :wink:
I'd look at the Ian Gordon Spey lines or one of the Aiflo Delta Spey 'tips' lines. It comes down to what you want to spend (there are few bad lines out there these days) but IMHO the Airflo tips line might be the way forward for a reasonable price, you can find them on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AIRFLO-MULTI-TIP-XT-DELTA-SPEY-FLY-LINE-10-11RRP-69-99_W0QQitemZ160077307594QQihZ006QQcategoryZ23817QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
The tips line is a distinct advanatge, you're essentially getting 3 fly lines in one which will be well suited to late spring until the end of the season  :idea:  However, you may wish to consider another full blooded sinking line for early and late season work  :wink:

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #9 on: 24/01/2007 at 10:08 »
The Delta Spey tips line plus a selection of shorter polyleaders in intermediate, slow sinking and fast sinking should cover most situations over the season.
Here is some information on the Ugie buyout

http://www.fishandfly.com/articles/news_18040336

Tele-Ecosse

« Reply #10 on: 23/02/2007 at 16:11 »
:grin:

Hi
Managed to get an Airflo Delta Spey on e bay for £30. seems like a good deal1

How about backing - any particular best & how long?

Any other tips on gear for this set up/

Thanks again :grin:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com