Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

ColinC

Fly tying
« on: 14/06/2010 at 12:37 »
Should I buy a kit? I seen a bison one for £50 on ebay or should I buy stuff seperately?  If I am buying stuff seperately my budget is £50, what materials/tools etc? Any help and advice is appreciated.

Colin

CGFS

Re: Fly tying
« Reply #1 on: 14/06/2010 at 13:43 »
  :z17Colin go out and buy a kit see how you get on most kits will have all the basic materials you will need to start,if you buy stuff individually it can run into ££££££ i have been buying stuff now for 15years and still don,t have all the materials so as i said get a kit and go from there also if you know anybody who ties fly,s get advice from them as this will go a long way to making your fly,s better atb CGFS..

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 14/06/2010 at 14:20 »
Colin

Here's a link to a previous thread which has some good advice

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1526.msg11071#msg11071

cheers

Irvine

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 14/06/2010 at 14:25 »
Hi Colin,
flytying is one of the most rewarding aspects of fly fishing, I can't remember the last time I bought a fly and doubt I'd buy one in anger again. That said, depending on how far you want to go with it, it can cost you hundreds, even thousands of pounds as you build up your collection of tools, threads, wires, hooks, beads, feathers, etc, etc. for

The good thing is that if you are thrifty and select half a dozen patterns or so that you know you'll use then you can ease yourself in gently with a good success rate. for example if you choose an apps bloodworm, cats whisker, black buzzer, F-fly, damsel & PTN then you have covered a large amount of feeding options with flies that require tying techniques that a beginner will easily master with a bit of practice.

I would go this route over buying a kit which may limit or suggest the patterns that you tie.

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 14/06/2010 at 18:15 »
I would tend to go with the pick a few patterns aproach and get the materials as you go  :wink
Kits are good but i tend to find they have to much rubbishy materials hanging to the all so good looking price tag!
Iam sure if you stuck your budget up we could all recomend the equipment required excluding materials to get you started!
 :z18

Matt Henderson

« Reply #5 on: 15/06/2010 at 07:30 »
I got this vice to replace my last one because it was a pedastal base rather than a clamp base.  Cheap and chips and works very well. 

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Royal-Vice-Clamp-Base---Bankrupt-Stock.html

cheers

Matt

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com