Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Kidd

Loch Leven 12/06/10
« on: 13/06/2010 at 18:58 »
Hi all,

I thought I'd share my recent experience of fishing 'The Loch'..............

I arrived at 10am to meet my boat partners for the day, Mr Simpson and Mr Richardson, with a combined experience of 100 years fishing Leven, I was filled with excitement and optimism at catching my first proper Leven Brown Trout!  The weather on the day was mild with 15-16degC with a light wind at times chilly out the North.

We loaded up boat number 5 and set out for the day at around 10.30am.  There are just 12 boats available these day's, a big change from the day's when there were 45 boats out with three to a boat EVERY weekend.  Some of the regular fishers were interested to hear that I normally fish boat number 46 in Aberdeen, there is definite local nostalgia with the fishers regarding these boats and they were very pleased to hear that they were well looked after and still used for fishing at Haddo.

The Loch was busy, as reports have been getting around at how well it is fishing.  There was 11 boats out in total, all taking position just off Harry's Pier.  The most successful method of the current season so far being to anchor up or drift very slowly while fishing a team of three buzzers under and indicator.  Total cast length anywhere between 12-18ft.  I never normally fish indicators, however when in Rome........., I tackled up my 7wt with my newly acquired Barrio Outcast WF7F and a team of Blakestones Buzzers in size 10.

By 11am there was a good buzzer hatch on the go with shucks seen on the surface, not in great numbers but enough to see some bent rods all the same.  The first Brownie came to our boat shortly after with Mr Richardson taking a nice fish of around 1lb.  The interesting thing about the hatch was that not once did we see a fish rise to the surface.  This was the case all day.

A further 3 fish came to the boat by 14.00.  Still no fish for me, however I missed one good take.

15.00 I am enjoying fishing the new line as I can turn-over a long cast of three buzzers at huge distance with ease!, I never normally fish three flies and was concerned about tangles and wind knots etc.  But the same cast I tied on stayed on all day.  The locals also took an interest in this line of mine, and want an order for two!.  At 15.30 the buzzers were now hatching and hanging in the air.......just as all this was being thought about I lifted into my first Leven Brown Trout, a nice fish of around 1(1/2)lb.  Took the point fly which was a black epoxy buzzer fished about 12ft down.

Another 3 fish came to our boat by Mr Simpson and then the action seemed to tail off.  After around half an hour of inactivity I decided to take off my indicator and fish more traditional loch style, tying on a black pennell on the point, pearly on the dropper and a Kate Mclaren on the bob.  First cast and I lifted into my second fish, a good 1(1/2)lber that took the black pennell.

All in all a great day's fishing, I was pleased to catch some true Leven Browns on traditional flies and some not so traditional.  A day of great fishing and witty banter that won't be forgotten and hopefully repeated again soon.

Cheers,

Steven

Jim Eddie

Re: Loch Leven 12/06/10
« Reply #1 on: 13/06/2010 at 19:04 »
Nice report Steven  :z16

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 13/06/2010 at 19:19 »
Good stuff you did well by the sounds of it.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 13/06/2010 at 19:44 »
Hi Steven :z16

Excellent report thanks ..... and with the photos even better!

Great to read that you enjoyed fishing your new fly line, I'm chuffed to bits that you like it :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Steven Kidd

« Reply #4 on: 13/06/2010 at 19:51 »
Cheers all,

Next stop the Hill Lochs of Scourie, hopefully!........

It wasn't just me that commented on the line, a few people liked the'feel' and suppleness of the line, it was absolutely ideal fishing at some distance on Leven.

Cheers,

Steven

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 13/06/2010 at 22:34 »
Great stuff Stevie  :z16

A nice read, and nice fish.

Must admit that I was surprised to hear that fishing buzzers under the indicator was a top method there.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 14/06/2010 at 01:06 »
Great report Steven

I love Leven, great to see it fishing well, the trout look well fed for sure.

Enjoy Scourie, its fantastic

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #7 on: 14/06/2010 at 18:36 »
Good wee report Steven!
Good to see you had some sport and the loch was kind to you  :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com