Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: Coastal sea trout
« Reply #15 on: 11/06/2010 at 11:47 »
Hi Ben,

I agree, a hard one to call without seeing and handling the actual fish.  The potential to catch a small grilse certainly exists with these being fairly common nowadays.

No matter what it was ,something silver from the briny is usually hard won and more especially worthy of celebration considering it was taken by fly.

Alan

I had a salmon this year from the Dee that weighed in at 2lb 7oz, not a thin fish just small, beautifully formed and proportioned and quite spotted but definitely a salmon.

There are a few spots where I do a bit of salt fishing for sea trout on permit (nowhere near here) and I have found that if you can get to them whilst they are still actively feeding rather than simply holding close to the coast in preparation to run the rivers then they are viscious.  Totally different in fish the salt to what they are in the river, not so spooky and very very aggressive.  Sea trout in the salt is one of if not my favourite types of fishing in the UK.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 11/06/2010 at 12:03 »
Have to agree Ben..I used to do a lot of this down the coast a little although not on the fly as the fish tended to be a long chuck off the shore, but they would slam into Abu Krills and then go airbourne!

I am hopefully off to Finland towards the end of the year for some Pike action, but we have looked at a couple of days Salty Sea Trouting and can't wait!

Irvine Ross

« Reply #17 on: 11/06/2010 at 17:59 »
Aceron,

The fish you posted are clearly sea trout, I am not so sure about Pauls fish.  Only way to make a call really would be to count the scales.  Pauls fish has few spots on the gill plate and few spots generally, I would expect to see more on a sea trout and the maxillary bone is very close to the rear of the eye.  Hard one to call.

Cheers

Ben

Any chance this could be a sea run Rainbow (steelhead)?  I have never seen one so I don't know what distinguishing features to look for but it would fit with the maxilliary alignment would it not?

Irvine

Paul Rankine

« Reply #18 on: 12/06/2010 at 14:14 »
Hi All,
          It's just the way the fish looks in the photo. I'll try and post one from my camera phone .It's a sea trout.

Paul.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #19 on: 13/06/2010 at 15:39 »
100% Sea-Trout in my opinion.

Paul you have no right to catch such a fish from the briney let alone on a flee (when you out again?)  :wink

Iain

Paul Rankine

« Reply #20 on: 18/06/2010 at 17:24 »
Hi All,
          Sorry for the delay in posting the piccie. It's on my work phone which is at work while I,m not.
Been laid up with a bit of a medical problem Iain so just recuperating at the moment.  The fish looks a bit grilse like in the first picture but as all will see in the picture to come it is a sea trout. No question. :wink
Paul.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #21 on: 20/06/2010 at 15:17 »
Hi All,
          Two pics of the sea trout before it gets eaten tonight.

Note position of centre of the eye to the edge of the maxillary.

Note square caudal fin.

The scale count was 16 which again makes it a sea trout.

For those who have difficulty in identifying salmon from sea trout this is a good site.

http://www.fishingnet.com/sea_trout_recognition.htm

Paul.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #22 on: 22/06/2010 at 17:48 »
Paul,

are you on the mend yet?

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com