Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Rankine

Coastal sea trout
« on: 07/06/2010 at 21:32 »
Hi all,
         Just a short post to say that I had a bit of success this afternoon ,(day off work , yahoo !).

Fishing a coastal spot not too far from Aberdeen.

I'll give you a clue , it was beach !  :z4

About 3lbs on a 1/2 "  silver needle tube.

Paul  :z4

CGFS

Re: Coastal sea trout
« Reply #1 on: 08/06/2010 at 06:50 »
is this legal  :z8 ??? :z8

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 08/06/2010 at 09:38 »
Nice fish there Paul.  Any chance of a close up of the fly?  Also a wee run down on what tackle and tactics you used to catch the seatrout in question?

Cheers

Matt

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #3 on: 08/06/2010 at 12:03 »
is this legal  :z8 ??? :z8

Only if you have written permission from the owner of the fishing rights at that point.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #4 on: 08/06/2010 at 12:48 »
Hi ,
      Yes it's legal. I,m not in the habit of fishing illegally! :z4 :z4 :z4

Matt, I'll put something together.

Cheers,

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 08/06/2010 at 13:22 »
Hi ,
      Yes it's legal. I,m not in the habit of fishing illegally! :z4 :z4 :z4

Matt, I'll put something together.

Cheers,

Paul.

Careful, that is not strictly true..there are far to many exceptions to say "it is legal".

Judging by the photo I know where Paul was fishing and it is legal to fish for sea trout in the sea if you have a ticket to do so in that veru clearly defined area. This is available as a day ticket, or a season ticket if you live local.

Many other places around this coast will see you potentially at risk of being lifted.

There is a long running dispute over the legality of fishing for sea trout at several areas close to Aberdeen so please be careful, I would hate to see someone lifted for this offence as it carries a very hefty fine.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #6 on: 08/06/2010 at 19:17 »
Hi,
     Rob. What is not strictly true ? There you go again making assumptions ! Nice of you to correct me though.

I do assure everyone the sea trout was caught legally .

The beach you say you know is not in fact where the fish was caught at all. And I,m no telling where .

Find your own spots ,it's not that difficult with a bit of investigation.

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 08/06/2010 at 21:47 »
No assumptions, the question was is fishing for sea trout in the sea legal? You answered yes. This is not strictly true. Simples!

There are many places round Aberdeen where it is not legal. Other places you need a ticket of some kind. Then there is written permission.

That is all I was pointing out and quantified that some areas would leave anglers breaking the law.

acercon3

« Reply #8 on: 09/06/2010 at 09:00 »
Hi Guys,

I was browsing another forum dedicated to Silver tourists and came upon a recent thread concerning an accidental seatrout capture in the salt.The article contained a photo of the seatrout.

After comparison with the photo contained here I wondered if in fact this fish is a seatrout.

Few spots below lateral line, maxillary does not extend to the rear of a line below rear of eye and there seems to be a wrist . None of these indicate seatrout.  The fish is of a reasonable size for a seatrout and I would have thought would have had more pronounced seatrout characteristics.

Any thoughts on this ?

acercon3

« Reply #9 on: 09/06/2010 at 09:30 »
Hello once again,

Just browsed thru some of my own photos and attach one that highlights one of the points that I made.

These 2 were from the salt also , please note the distinct difference with the maxillary alignment on these in comparison to the fish mentioned in this thread.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 09/06/2010 at 11:36 »
Interesting observation. I am sure someone will be able to come along and shed more light on this.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #11 on: 10/06/2010 at 17:01 »
Rob,

You answered yes. This is not strictly true. Simples!

I answered yes , my fish was legal. Simples . You have mis read what I wrote.

And all because you had a run in with the ADAA over fishing the Don estuary without a permit ?  :oops

Paul.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #12 on: 10/06/2010 at 20:42 »
Aceron,

The fish you posted are clearly sea trout, I am not so sure about Pauls fish.  Only way to make a call really would be to count the scales.  Pauls fish has few spots on the gill plate and few spots generally, I would expect to see more on a sea trout and the maxillary bone is very close to the rear of the eye.  Hard one to call.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 11/06/2010 at 08:30 »

And all because you had a run in with the ADAA over fishing the Don estuary without a permit ?  :oops

I do hope you are not suggesting I have poached the ADAA water? I trust you are a little more sensible that that.

acercon3

« Reply #14 on: 11/06/2010 at 08:37 »
Hi Ben,

I agree, a hard one to call without seeing and handling the actual fish.  The potential to catch a small grilse certainly exists with these being fairly common nowadays.

No matter what it was ,something silver from the briny is usually hard won and more especially worthy of celebration considering it was taken by fly.

Alan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com