Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

ColinC

Which rod ?
« on: 04/06/2010 at 21:53 »
Am I better with a 10ft 7/8 or a 9.5ft 6/7 rod? The range is Shakespeare Odyssey travel fly rods due to it being a 4 piece rod which will fit better in the car.

Ben Dixon

Re: Which rod ?
« Reply #1 on: 04/06/2010 at 22:01 »
Hi Colin,

Where do you intend to use the rod and what for, what flies / lines will you be throwing on it? 

Cheers

Ben

ColinC

« Reply #2 on: 04/06/2010 at 22:24 »

Where do you intend to use the rod and what for, what flies / lines will you be throwing on it? 

Ben

Hi Ben,
             Well my last rod was from a Shakespeare starter fly fishing pack and I used at Haddo and Raemoir but that has a crack in it at the joint due the low quality. I think that was a 2.4m rod.  Just looking for a rod to start out with that will do me for a season or two and will fit in the car. Just now I have a reel with a 7wt sinking line on it up here in aberdeen, although I do have another reel from the starter pack and spare spool from the reel with the 7wt but they are currently back in fife, will be looking to get a floating line on it when I have time to pick them up.  I will be trying to tie some of my own flies following the guides on the forum.

Colin

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 04/06/2010 at 22:30 »
Hi Colin,

I would go for a 9' or 9'6" 6wt rod, anything heavier really is overkill for trout and the best thing you can do is to get a decent floating line as soon as possible.  A floating line is by far the most useful for trout fishing, you can fish a heavy fly or add on sink tip if you need to get down a bit.

Cheers

Ben

ColinC

« Reply #4 on: 04/06/2010 at 22:34 »
thanks Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 05/06/2010 at 08:43 »
Hi Colin

I would agree with Ben's advice :z16

A 5wt or 6wt fly rod would be fine.

Best wishes
Mike

ColinC

« Reply #6 on: 05/06/2010 at 20:45 »
I opted for the 9ft as I thought it felt more balanced when I held it compared to the 9.5ft .

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com