Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

wildfisher

What Are Your Don Plans This Year?
« on: 15/01/2007 at 14:02 »
I'll buy  a season ticket for Haughton and Waterside. Will do a bit more salmon fishing   and also give  a few trout sore mouths there  if I can. Will also fish  the water further up river and perhaps even have a shot or two further down. What about you?

Hamish Young

« Reply #1 on: 15/01/2007 at 15:43 »
Hoping to blag some fishing elsewhere on the Don this year = may come to nothing but who knows........ :?:
Fancy the roving ticket as well - but I'll need my crystal ball to know what'll be happening later in the year :z8

wildfisher

« Reply #2 on: 15/01/2007 at 16:09 »
Hamish,  I had a wild rover two years in a row but found I usually only fished Alford, so I'll give the wild one a miss this year I think. I note it is now up to £150 (was £109 just a few years ago)  – which is still not bad I suppose  ~~~~~~ if you use it! ~~~~~~

John got better value from his, fishing for trout at Kintore quite a bit. Kintore can be busy but the fish are very free rising down that way in summer.

Jay Scott

« Reply #3 on: 15/01/2007 at 16:14 »
I'm just going to fish the Inverurie beat, don't have time to fish anywhere else since theres no fishing on Sundays, just go down a couple evenings and see if i can't tease a couple broonies oot.

Jay

Kev Danby

« Reply #4 on: 15/01/2007 at 16:29 »
I had the roving ticket last year and hardly used it due to parental commitments, this year I think I'll try day tickets on a few beats and maybe even try the Deveron.

Jim Eddie

Deveron
« Reply #5 on: 15/01/2007 at 17:48 »
Kev

You wont get on the best beats on the Deveron once the Salmon season starts.

Although i think you can get a day ticket for the tidal stretch for around £5.

:z18

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 15/01/2007 at 21:22 »
No season tickets for me this year.

I have a project to start.
It is my intention to start at the uppermost, accessible beat in April and then fish them all in order working downstream.
They'll be photographed and fished, then i'm going to write them up and update the Don information section for the main website.
hopefully it will be an informative and effective guide for people wanting to fish the river , be they tourist or local.A proper Don guide.
Lots of photos should make the whole thing more inviting.

So if anyone fancys a few trips to different places this year let me know.
And if the times are good for us both then you're more than welcome to come along and star in some of the photos (within reason of course :grin: )

I did think about keeping it under my hat, but I'm not very good at that kind of thing :z4
I reckon it may be a 2 year project, any suggestions as to where to try will be most welcome.
I want to fish every beat you can get onto, day ticket , council beats, and club waters if i can manage it.

Hopefully it will turn out OK :z16

Sandy

stickleback

« Reply #7 on: 15/01/2007 at 21:37 »
I'm thinking of getting a council ticket for Kintore.  Perhaps not as quiet as I'd like but close enough to my home so I can stretch out my time doing my other parental duties before vanishing to the water.  Not as much fishing as I'd like but less domestic grief  :z6

gunner100

Fishing the Don
« Reply #8 on: 15/01/2007 at 21:39 »
Hi Spiderman,

Your project is very laudable and once complete will be great resource for all Don anglers.

Just a small question re starting at the uppermost beat and then fishing downstream. As the upper beats are probably the most unproductive at the beginning of the season and the lower beats more prolific, why not start your quest at the lower beats and work upstream, but you probably have your own reasons for the order of the project.

It is not a cavil, just a genuine enquiry.

Lyall

wildfisher

« Reply #9 on: 15/01/2007 at 21:41 »
Sounds like a great project Sandy. I might join you on one or two if it fits in. Had a walk down  the Haughton beat with "The Dug"  today. Planning my attack  for April ~~~~~~~ it's a long dreary winter eh? It's looking more and more like I'll have to get out on 12th  February and harass a kelt or two.  :grin:

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 16/01/2007 at 08:55 »
Lyall

The reasoning is I'm Fishing for Trout.
So the river is better at the top early season and gets better further down as the season progresses.
25 years of Being in, around or by the water has taught me that much at least.

It should be a lot of fun.

Sandy

Kev Danby

Next years plans
« Reply #11 on: 16/01/2007 at 11:48 »
Jim that's probably true about the Deveron but based on last years outings on the Don I will do well to manage one trip so that must be achievable. I will probably try somewhere around Huntly.

Dutchfly

« Reply #12 on: 16/01/2007 at 12:09 »
No visit this year I'm afraid  :sad: Just bought a new house, so lots to do this summer.

CU

Jeroen

wildfisher

« Reply #13 on: 16/01/2007 at 12:55 »
Quote from: "stickleback"
I'm thinking of getting a council ticket for Kintore.  

It's not the bonniest part of the Don , but Kintore trout fishing can be excellent with more free rising fish than I have seen anywhere further up the river. The average size is possibly smaller but there are a lot of fish in the pound class, which is not bad and always the chance of something bigger or  a sea trout. If you can get on mid week it's much less busy.

King Monkey

« Reply #14 on: 16/01/2007 at 13:35 »
Just started the sport last summer so looking forward to going out river fishing for the first time.Probably out on a day ticket here and there,Kintore,Alford,Inverurie.

Cheers. :grin:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com