Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

klinks
« on: 26/05/2010 at 10:22 »
I've finally convinved myself that probably one large tupperware box full of tubes and a side and a half of an A4 sized fly box full of salmon and sea trout flies is probably enough for this season.  So I'd be better off tying some trout flies.  Any tips on colour combinations for klinks for still water? I've been following the paul proctor articles for river patterns would these work at say haddo too? Or should I be trying something completed different?

cheers

Matt

Rob Brownfield

Re: klinks
« Reply #1 on: 26/05/2010 at 10:49 »
I have had good success with Klinks dressed with a black body, ribbed with narrow pearl tinsel, a pinky/orange thorax and a grizzle hackle. I bought the original from Ben in Orvis, but then dressed my own using a slightly sparkly version of the thorax.

I have also dressed some up with various shades of olive body and a peacock herl thorax. They seem to work too :)

Lastly, an all black version dressed small..seems to work when there are wee black midges about. I think they see it as a "super sized" american midge and si[p it down with "relish" ;)

Hope that helps a litle.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 26/05/2010 at 19:26 »
Mattheus,

Use whatever colour of dubbing of creatures fur you like but I'd never be without a Klink with a black body and thin blue tinsel or fine mirage tinsel for a rib, a must in my opinion.
Olives, browns, claret, yellow, cream - whatever you like but go for black first.

I still prefer peacock herl as a thorax.

got to go - story time.

Iain

Dutchfly

« Reply #3 on: 28/05/2010 at 09:00 »
Two variations work best for me, on rivers and stillwaters. The first is tied with a black body, silver rib, thorax of black seal, white post and grizzley hackle. The second has an orange body, golden rib, orange thorax, grey post and blue dun hackle.

CU

Jeroen

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 28/05/2010 at 13:23 »
The first is tied with a black body, silver rib

Hi Joeren,

is that a fine flat silver tinsel for the rib?  Any pictures of the orange bodied one?

Iain

Dutchfly

« Reply #5 on: 29/05/2010 at 14:36 »
Hi Iain,

I use fine oval tinsel for the rib, both for the silver and the gold. Pictures won't work, I'm afraid (no macro) but if you PM me your adress, I'll send you a couple.

Regards,

Jeroen

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 29/05/2010 at 21:51 »
Hi Joeren,

Thanks for the gesture  :z16 but if you give me the exact 'recipe' I'll tie one up, photograph and download it and you can give me your verdict. What are you representing with this pattern or is it just one of those general flies that catch fish?

Iain

Dutchfly

« Reply #7 on: 31/05/2010 at 11:37 »
Right Iain, here we go.

Hook: Partridge 15BN Klinkhamer, size 16
Thread: ultrafine Wonderthread
Post: Grey calf, split and slightly tilted forward (as in the Goddard Emerger)
Hackle: Dun
Body: Uni-Floss, orange
Rib: Uni-French, gold, XS but for a more yellow/gold rib I use a thread from my local craftshop: Mettler Metallic No. 40
Thorax: Haretron Burnt Orange well picked out and tied in in a spinned loop

I suppose it's a general fly, but it's been very effective for me on The Don when there were Blue Wing Olives hatching. In our polders, rudd love this fly as well.

Look forward to your picture!  :z12

CU

Jeroen

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 31/05/2010 at 23:40 »
Hi Joeren,

Can't put my hands on the exact materials (where's the orange uni-floss?) but came up with this & I'll give it a bash the next opportunity I have.

What do you think?

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #9 on: 01/06/2010 at 09:26 »
Nice work Iain. 

I have a supplementary question, does the colour of the post make any difference?  I've not got the best eyes in the world and after spending the afternoon fishing at Haddo on friday with a klink with a bright pink post then most of the time apart from when fishing into the sun I could see the fly perfectly however if it hadn't have been so bright there wasn't a hope. 

cheers

matt

Dutchfly

« Reply #10 on: 01/06/2010 at 11:27 »
That's a nice looking fly, Iain  :z16

Personally, I would go for a slightly bigger thorax, one that covers the first rib (or last, depending on what way you look at it). On the other hand, a bigger thorax might make the fly heavier... :z8

Where did you (whip)finish, at the bottom of the post, or on the hook? I always form the thorax, then hackle and then whipfinish at the bottom of the post. 2 times 3 turns if you understand what I mean. I finish all my flies that way, because then I don't have to use headcement.

Matt, I don't think the colour of the post makes a difference, I just prefer grey or white.

CU

Jeroen

Iain Goolager

« Reply #11 on: 01/06/2010 at 12:43 »
does the colour of the post make any difference?

to me personally  - No. The fish may have a different opinion  :z8
I tie posts in Pink, Orange, Cinnamon, Dark Dark Green & Grey so that the prevailing light conditions are covered - there's no point in fishing a dry if you can't see it, IMHP. Pink is my favourite colour for Klinkin' n' dinkin' or dusk ( posts I mean, not attire  :z7)

Joeren,
I very seldom tie off at the head and too whip finish on the post under the hackle BUT I apply a drop of Fly-Tite which is very thin and flexible onto the 'whips'

as for the thorax size - let's let the fish decide  :wink :z12

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #12 on: 01/06/2010 at 12:59 »
( posts I mean, not attire  :z7)

there's nothing wrong with a pink shirt, I'm never without my pink socks underneath my waders...   :z4

Dutchfly

« Reply #13 on: 01/06/2010 at 16:59 »
let's let the fish decide

Right you are, let me know how you got along!

Good luck,

Jeroen

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com