Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

trout fishing set up
« on: 24/05/2010 at 20:43 »
Ok I'm all sorted salmon fishing wise.  I have a shooting head, spey line, sink tips and a short/longer leader section and then flies and tubes.  Simples. 

When it comes to trout fishing I haven't a clue.  When I go trout fishing its normally roughly 6ft of one leader joined to another 6ft of a lighter leader material with a fly on the dropper and a fly on the point.  I would like to go dry fly fishing or upstream nymphing but I'm unsure of where to start set up wise.  Also does the same apply for stillwaters or just rivers?

Are floating polyleaders any good?  Also is sinkant a requirement when using weighted flies? Does floatant just go on the fly or the leader too?

Cheers

Matt

Paul Rankine

Re: trout fishing set up
« Reply #1 on: 24/05/2010 at 21:37 »
HI Matt,
              You have asked all sorts of questions there which I think is why your post has been read 12 times and I,m the only one to reply !

Best thing you can do is to get yourself along to Haddo !!  :z4

Paul.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 24/05/2010 at 22:04 »
Hi matt,

A lot of questions here or at least, the questions have loads of answers!!

When I go trout fishing its normally roughly 6ft of one leader joined to another 6ft of a lighter leader material with a fly on the dropper and a fly on the point

For dry fly fishing my standard leader is a 12' tapered job with either 4 or 5x at the end depending upon what I am throwing.  I loop the tapered leader and and add about 2' of tippet, this is a starting length.  If on a very flat glide I will go up to 16' if required and if prospecting with a big klink in fast stuff I may be using a 7.5' tapered leader made up to about 10' with tippet.  I never tend to fish two dries on a river.
Leader length will be reduced and maybe beefed up in a wind.  This is based on fishing middle & lower river, if fishing on small streams / headwaters then I would reduce leader length to something more manageable.  Best guide really is to use the longest leader that you can control in any given situation / condition.  

Also is sinkant a requirement when using weighted flies?

I always degrease my tippet if only to take the shine off it but usually just the last third, if fishing nymphs I tend to use straight mono as it sinks faster than a bulky tapered leader, the weight of  the nymph usually is sufficient to turn the leader.  I never degrease / try to sink the tapered section of the leader.

When fishing spiders / wets I will use a 6' tapered leader down to 4X the usually make up the rest of the leader with 5x, three flies spaced over 7 or 8 feet to give a total length of 13 - 14'.  in this case I wil l apply floatant to the tapered section of the leader, a bit like buzzer fishing you are watching for takes and the end of the line / leader butt is your indicator.

Matt, these probably looked like straightforward questions but there are so many exceptions.  Best bet is get the last 12 / 24 months issues of T&S out and read all of Paul Procters articles!

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 25/05/2010 at 08:17 »
I was aware that it wasn't perhaps a simple answer and I avidly read the Paul Proctor articles.  I'll start with a few tapered leaders and some de-greaser/sinkant and floatant.  And go from there slowly as I learn. 

Cheers

Matt

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com