Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Chiz

Public Transport and Fishing....
« on: 23/05/2010 at 19:50 »
Hello,

Due to the fact that i don't have a car, i'm reliant on kind lifts to go fishing.

I'm just wondering if there's any good fishing spots (rivers, or fisheries) that are easy accessible through public transport from Aberdeen?

A weird request i know, but i've tried looking through listings, and mapping them out on Google but i've not had much luck as of yet. I know Inverurie train station is near the river, but i'm unsure if they are good spots?

Noel Kelly

Re: Public Transport and Fishing....
« Reply #1 on: 23/05/2010 at 21:25 »
Inverurie, Kintore and Alford are the council beats and easily accessible by bus I imagine. I dont fish Alford  but I know that the other two can be excellent.   
Inverurie train station would be a 10 min walk from the river. kintore, buses stop 5 mins walk from the river.
If you want to try Kintore I will take you out and try and point you in the right direction. Drop me a PM and we can take it from there.

Chiz

« Reply #2 on: 24/05/2010 at 10:56 »
Thanks very much for that An Chuileog. I believe Inverurie would be easiest to get to, so i'm more than interested in the spots around the train station.

I work in Dyce so anywhere on the Don around Dyce would be fine as well. I've had a look on google maps and it's very accessible. Can someone please pin point the hot spots along the dyce route?

Thanks,

Lee

Fisher

« Reply #3 on: 24/05/2010 at 11:53 »
For fishing in the Dyce area you would need to join Aberdeen & District Angling Association as both lower and upper Parkhill are owned/controlled by them. Also lower and upper Fintray.

see www.adaa.org.uk

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 24/05/2010 at 13:09 »
No one is gonna pinpoint hot spots for you on an open forum :shock :z4

Chiz

« Reply #5 on: 24/05/2010 at 13:42 »
That site is horrible. Navigation isn't the best at all. Thanks though, i've emailed the contact address there so hopefully i can get some information, although £500ish for a joining fee, i'll need to think about that  :shock.

Are permits easier to come by for Inverurie and Kintore?

Chiz

« Reply #6 on: 24/05/2010 at 13:59 »
With the £275 joining fee, £180 annual subscription, do you still need to pay for a days fishing? or does this cover you for the season? Seems like this could be a very expensive hobbie!

Fisher

« Reply #8 on: 27/05/2010 at 15:34 »
The £275 is a one off joining fee and the £180 is the cost of the annual permit covering all Association waters with no additional charges except for fishing at the Pots & Fords which is actually controlled by the Pots & Fords Association who make a small charge for a daily permit.

sutherland1

« Reply #9 on: 27/05/2010 at 15:56 »
Chiz,

Depends on where you want to fish if you are more likely to go fish at fishery around aberdeenshire then you might find it a pain eg Lochter is not bad to get to by train from aberdeen then a taxi up to the fishery that will sting you £10 each way plus your fishing ticket so its quite expensive thats just a eg of what i did as i dont drive due to medical reasons but my wife takes me most places but i fish near a private run water now which is just a couple of mile from my house so i hardly ever go anywhere else now,

Long story short most place are hard to get to by bus etc i have been there done that, so take the guys advice and get a ticket for the don  or better still get some L plates soon it will open it up for you a whole lot better.

Good Luck, Euan.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com