Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

wildfisher

Close Season For Rainbow Trout?
« on: 14/01/2007 at 12:18 »
Some of the posters on the wild fishing forum are saying that there was a late amendment to the  Aquaculture and fisheries Bill that has  resulted in  a total ban on  live baiting in Scotland. Not  many would argue against that I suppose (I thought it was already outlawed), but apparently a close season for rainbow trout is  also being discussed. Anyone heard anything about this?  This should not be simply shrugged off as there is at least one very obvious precedent of having a close season for non-native game species. The pheasant.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #1 on: 14/01/2007 at 13:45 »
Interesting thought!

Would kind of negate the purpose in Triploids though.

Not necessarily a bad thing, a close season.
Just a pity we dont have grayling in the Don :z4

Hmmmmmmm!??!!?? what i wouldn't give for a few casts on running water.

Pity its such a hike for here to find some, even then the winter is never the best for grayling in Scotland.Autumn is more like it.

Sandy

wildfisher

« Reply #2 on: 14/01/2007 at 14:26 »
Quote from: "spiderman"

Interesting thought!

Interesting indeed. I must say  I get nervous when politicians start  sticking their noses into matters fishing. While a close season for 'bows  would  not  affect  me personally – no much anyway -  I doubt if many fisheries  would welcome it. It won't happen I'm sure.  Like you I am longing to get back onto  the running water. Walks along the banks of the Don don't help much either. It was part frozen over last time I was down, not a bloody fish rising either. Typical  :grin:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 14/01/2007 at 17:16 »
That's an interesting thought  :roll:  

I wonder what the reason would be for the politicians to even be discussing this?

Since the fish aren't breeding or out of condition, why would one feel the need to have a close season ........... in fact the rainbows and blues are often at their best in the winter months, as those who have fished Haddo recently will hopefully agree  :cool:

Although to be totally honest, thinking about it, I would not be awfully upset if I were to get a month off in the winter  :wink:

Curious I am  :z3
Mike

close season for rainbow trout
« Reply #4 on: 14/01/2007 at 18:20 »
yes mike youre blues are best ive seen
       ihave not caught much blues at brians,but the rainbows are in great condition.acredit to both fishiers.
         henry from the waterbouys :lol:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 14/01/2007 at 21:14 »
I spoke to Nora Radcliffe, my local MSP and on the board who brought this Bill into existence, about the livebait ban....She rebbited on about how it would affect anglers in her constituancy (Gordon) and that she knew it would affect the influx of Salmon anglers  :?:  :?:  :?:

I pointed out that livebaiting was done for Pike, not Salmon...that it was infact already illegal to use fish baits for salmon..and that she did not have any Pike waters in her constituancy.

The phone went rather quiet...hmmmmm
Nice to know that the people making the rules are upto date with there information and know what is what.

The Pike Alliance for Scotland and the Pike Anglers Club of Great Britain both approached the Scottish Parliment to clarify the ban, ask why it was being descussed and when the ban might take place.

They both received different contradictory replies!!! Both were given dates to discuss this matter..and both had dates AFTER the livebait ban went through. They are not happy....

As for a close season for rainbows...why?? 90% of them dont last a year in a fishery anyway. They are caught and eaten by the angler. They are not spawning (unlike coarse fish that have no close season in scotland and are not really recognised in this Bill) so dont need time to "ave some nookie" in peace, businesses would be adversly affected in some instances and more pressure may be put on "natural" fish stocks.

I don't get it???????

gunner100

« Reply #6 on: 14/01/2007 at 22:38 »
Last week a friend drew my attention to a report in the " Scottish Daily Mail" re the live bait legislation which was going through the Scottish Parliament. I laughed it off as I could not see such a piece of legislation going through, but , on checking, apparently it was a late amendment which went through on "the nod". None of the MSP's present either understood the amendment or were aware of the implications in banning live bait.

According to the "Scottish Daily Mail" it will be law within three months.

And no!, I do not normally believe everything I read in the papers, not even the Mail.

Lyall

wildfisher

« Reply #7 on: 15/01/2007 at 22:49 »
If you would like to  attempt to influence  this nonsense and any other  matters connected with the Aquaculture and Fisheries Bill,   see :

http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4374.0

You can add your comments and amendments there

One of our members who is well connected in these matters has been talking to a sitting member of the committee currently discussing Stage 2 of The Bill   and he is willing to take suggestions / amendments forward for consideration. At the  end of this  week he will collate the information and pass it on. We only have a few days

However forlorn the hope of getting politicians to listen, at least you can say you tried.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com