Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: Spec Me a Rod
« Reply #15 on: 20/05/2010 at 14:36 »
Not the case mate mate, the intermediate is a sinking line so you will have to get it on to the surface before you cast it and most of my fishing even on small stillwaters is done with a floating line.  You can add a sink tip to the end of a floater to get deeper.  I'd strongly advise you to get a floating WF line.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 20/05/2010 at 14:47 »
I think the reason why you were told an Intermediate was easier to cast is because it is a denser line and thus flies that little bit further because it has less wind resistence. A fast sink line fairly flies out of the tip ring and that is what I was told to start with. For me that was fine but I see Bens point.

As Ben rightly says, a floater will be much more useful all round, easier to cast direct off the water but may not go so far....but in many situations a short cast is all that is needed. Even more so in running water where a fish can often be taken a few feet from the bank.

One thing I would say though, forget the fancy game bag and spend that money on leader de-greaser, a pair of forceps, a fly box (flies of course :)) a knotless landing net and a priest if you are going to be taking fish for the pot.

You can always put things in your pockets but it is harder to land a fish without a net or to cleanly kill it without a priest etc.

Chiz

« Reply #17 on: 20/05/2010 at 15:36 »
Thanks again for all the tips.

Rob, sorry, i forgot to add, i already have flies, forceps, priest flybox with flies and a net :) (and boots, glasses, hats and waterproofs) - i just have nothing to hold them all in :)

Raymond, i heard somewhere that the clear lines are more visible to the fish, therefore colour is better. I believe this is debatable though (I wish i had the link to show, but i definitely read it somewhere).

I think i'll start with a floating line then, see how i get on with that since i already know what to expect with intermediate.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: 20/05/2010 at 17:47 »
Looks like a good plan to me, chiz :z16

I'd go for the floater too, far more versatile
and for the waters in the NE all you need for 90% of the time

you might need some backing as well for the reel
100yds of 20lb braid is ideal, for a start.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it
always been a fan of Shakey rods :z16

sandy

Andy Wren

« Reply #19 on: 20/05/2010 at 18:11 »
Excellent, I think we're all agreed that this is a decent, cheap rod.

So far i've priced up:

DescriptionValueShakespeare Odyssey Fly Rod26.99Greys G-Series Reel29.99Greys GRXi Clear Intermediate Line24.99Daiwa Wilderness game bag 422.99Total104.96

I believe the above should all be ok. Should manage to get this all today and hopefully be fishing with all my own kit this weekend  :z16
Chiz if not too late ,change the line for a floater and go for one of Mikes £19.00 ,saves you a fiver .
Why a floater , well you will find it easier to cast and more versatile , later on go to sinkers ,sinktip, midge tips and inters ,if you want .
As well as I can remeber its twenty years ago that i last fished trout with anything other than a full floater , thats bar one day when I forgot my reels and found a very slow inter in my bag and that i greased up to float !

Chiz

« Reply #20 on: 20/05/2010 at 18:43 »
Just bought everything :)

Odyssey 9ft 6/7
Leeda Profile 7/8 fly reel
Truefly subsurface 8lb 50mtr
Grxi peach floating fly line
Daiwa wilderness trout game bag 3

Total price came to 77.96.

I'm really happy with the purchase and can't wait to go and try out my kit :)... I just have to learn how to attach the line and then that'll be me good to go!

Thanks for all the help guys! Much appreciated!

Matt Henderson

« Reply #21 on: 20/05/2010 at 18:48 »
if you go to Mike's fly line webshop then you'll find a list of knots etc to use and that should provide the answers for attaching backing to the reel, backing to flyline.  Flyline to leader and leader to fly.

I notice that there wasn't any backing on that list? 

Chiz

« Reply #22 on: 20/05/2010 at 19:21 »
Thanks for that mdh. Sorry I got backing as well, forgot to add it to the list. I got it free but I believe it should be £ 2.99 :)

sutherland1

« Reply #23 on: 20/05/2010 at 20:03 »
Chiz,

Nout wrong with the Shakespeare odyssey i have had one kicking around for ages as a second rod for a novice pal of mines and i also use a Shakespeare expo 7 pc for when i go on hols etc great stuff,

Good luck with it all sure you will be fine,

Tight lines, :z4

Euan.

sutherland1

« Reply #24 on: 20/05/2010 at 20:07 »
Chiz,

Now you are set up and ready to go all you have to do is choose where you are going to fish,

Plenty of choices out there ??? for you,

Euan.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #25 on: 20/05/2010 at 21:43 »
Hi Chiz
You have had an amazing response concidering fishing conditions are excellent at the moment! I think you have a good settup there but can I offer a little advise?
I will anyway :)
Forget the bag, unless you ate gonna be boat fishing all the time it will quickly become a nuisance. Beauty if fly fishing is you don't have to carry much gear and can be mobile.
Get a waistcoat or fishing jacket, one with plenty pockets and rings for hanging stuff like scissors off.

The best suggestion I could make is get a casting lesson from a qualified casting instructor. Ben D on here for example. It will be the best money you could spend as a beginner.

Where do you intend to fish?

Chiz

« Reply #26 on: 21/05/2010 at 09:44 »
I've already had tuition from Danny at Lochters. Not sure if he's qualified but he most certainly showed me the basics and how to get the line in the water!!

I'm glad i did it as i had no idea how to cast! I've been twice now, and the second time i seen a vast improvement with casting, and also got used to my own technique and figured out what's best for me.

Due to the fact that i don't drive, i'm reliant of lifts. I have a friend who's just started fly fishing as well and we've been going to Lochters the past 2 weeks. (due to them renting out rods). Since i've got my own kit now, i'm planning on going to Haddo's after payday, and then the Don, once i'm comfortable with myself (and also once i get wadders!  :z16)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com