Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Michael Buchan

Air Travel - Two peice rod
« on: 18/05/2010 at 19:05 »
Hi guys,

Am going on holiday next Satuarday am swithering whether to take my fly rod or not, problem i have is the rod i want to take is a 9ft two peice.  Any idea if its a hastle to do or if im likely to get charged extra for checking it in? Flying with BA strikes and Ash cloud permitting  :cry

Have booked a 6hrs bonefishing while we are in Cozumel so cant wait.  Guide says he can supply rods if its a hastle to take my own. 

Last nights efforts

Thanks

Michael

Paul Rankine

Re: Air Travel - Two peice rod
« Reply #1 on: 18/05/2010 at 19:11 »
HI Wind Knot,
                       I'd take the guide up on his offer .
Paul.

P Ross

« Reply #2 on: 18/05/2010 at 19:32 »
Hi Michael
Lucky for you i work at the airport. I have spoken with BA and they will charge you £35 to check it in. It cant go as hand luggage as it is too big so obviously will need to be in a tube. For that amount the question is are you prepared to pay? I would go with the guides offer. Hope that helps make your mind up. Enjoy your trip and tight lines !! :z18

Michael Buchan

« Reply #3 on: 18/05/2010 at 20:41 »
Thanks for that  :z16, ill go with the guides offer.  Already streaching the budget having the days guiding, but would love to catch a bonefish.

Hopefully its like this, will post a report when i get back.

Cheers

Michael

Paul Rankine

« Reply #4 on: 18/05/2010 at 21:07 »
Hi Wind Knot,
                       Good decision  :z4   Just keep your knuckles away from the reel handle !
 Tight lines  :z4

Paul.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 18/05/2010 at 21:52 »
Lucky you. Hope you have a good holiday and more importantly great fishing.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 18/05/2010 at 22:29 »
Michael,

If you want to borrow a suitable 4pc rod, give me a shout.

Cheers

Ben

Alex Thain

« Reply #7 on: 19/05/2010 at 18:35 »
been there twice, used there rods.  just make sure you take flys and leader  as no way can you purchase anything once there. great sport had 7 bonefish an a jack the last outing   :z12 :z12 :z12

Michael Buchan

« Reply #8 on: 20/05/2010 at 16:51 »
Sounds like a great day  :z16 id be happy with 1. 

Did you see any other types of fish in the lagoon? Snook, Permit, barracuda?

Have tied up enough bonefish flies was thinking what else i should tie for

Thanks

Michael

Alex Thain

« Reply #9 on: 20/05/2010 at 23:17 »
hi, never saw anything else apart from bonefish heading and tailing,and in knee deep water you just so a flash of silver, had about 12 diferent paterns with me, and all i used where crazy charlies , just rember to walk backwards when  your striping in backing after the first run  ,and not end up with a birds nest of backing as no way will you reel fast enough , and watch your fingers      tight lines  :z16 :z16 :z16

Michael Buchan

« Reply #10 on: 18/06/2010 at 16:04 »
Well its official it sucks to be home.  Last Friday I had a crack at Bonefishing in Cozumel was amazing always wanted to catch one. It was actually our first year weeding anniversary on the day so it took some serious sucking up to get but was well worth it. 

Started off by getting a taxi from the cruise boat to the office of http://aquariusflatsfishing.com  met the owner Carlos who took us to the marina.  Then got a half hour trip up the coast of Cozumel to the lagoon.  The lagoon was ankle to knee deep with crystal clear warm water there we spent the rest of the day following the guide looking for schools of fish.

First couple schools I spooked then finally hooked one and it was awesome the first couple runs were strait into the backing which was fine it was when they run back to you that caused the problems couldn’t wind, strip or run backwards fast enough to keep in contact, lost one due to this and by pure luck managed to land two others.

The last fish I landed was from a school of about a 100 which we cast to for over an hour they just swan in area about 100ft wide, if I spooked them they would shoot off to the other side and come back in a minute or so. we changing flies 8 times before finally hooking one on a tiny weightless shrimp fly. 

End of the day ended up landing two, lost one and spooked about 10 different schools.  Unfortunately due to the time that the cruise boat arrived it meant we had to fish during the middle of the day.  The fish were not really feeding, early in the morning and late in the day is apparently when they feed and you see them tailing, most of the fish we cast to were just cruising about but still one of the best days fishing I have had and would highly recommend it.

On another note had a cast at Kintore last night not much rising there was a hatch of tiny black flies got a few fish up at 9:30 but only lasted 15mins.

Heres a few photos

Michael

Camping at Alford this weekend so hopefully will manage to sneak in a couple of hours fishing

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 18/06/2010 at 19:28 »
Nice report Michael thanks for sharing it with us  :z16

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com