Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Chiz

Hi, i'm new :)
« on: 13/05/2010 at 11:54 »
Hello,

I thought i would introduce myself because i'm new to this sport and i'm after advice and tips!!

I used to do a lot of sea fishing about 10 years ago and decided to try my hand at fly fishing. My friend and I went to Lochters on Tuesday for a 4 hour session and tutorial and it went amazingly. I caught an (estimated by official ) 11lbs Rainbow trout!!

Anyways, i can see myself taking this sport up and i'm after some advice on what would be a good kit for a beginner. Is £100 to buy waterproofs, rod, line, flies etc a realistic budget or should i be looking to spend more than that?

Anyways, I can see myself posting here quite regularly (I work in IT, so i'm sitting in front of a pc all day :-P) so i just thought i'd say hi!

Cheers,

Lee.

Jim Eddie

Re: Hi, i'm new :)
« Reply #1 on: 13/05/2010 at 12:56 »
Hi Lee Welome to the forum

I reckon you clould justabout get an entry level outfit for £100 (try Flextec on e-bay) but its stretching it to get waterproofs as well.
Buy the outfit and if you do like the sport than increase your budget and buy better kit.

:z18

Jim   

Chiz

« Reply #2 on: 13/05/2010 at 13:10 »
Thanks Jim.

I'm gathering that Flextec is a respectable brand then?

What would be a decent size rod to begin with? and am i right in thinking Intermediate line is what i should be purchasing?

I'm not overly fussed about a reel as i just pull the line in with my hand... (Not sure if there's a name for this technique at all).

Sorry for all the questions, but it's the easiest way to learn :)

Chiz

« Reply #3 on: 13/05/2010 at 13:25 »
I have seen this complete kit for £69.99.

"Flextec CRX88 3 piece Fly Rod worth £349.99
Matching Fly Reel with Free Spare Spool (RRP £39.99)
Flextec Aeroloop Fly Line worth £49.99
Sumo Backing line
Trout Landing Net
Airflo Extra Strong Leader
Classic Wooden Fly box
Plus 50 Assorted Gold Head Flies worth £24.99"

The CRX88 seems to have really good reviews for the price. Would anyone recommend the above for starting out?

Cheers.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 13/05/2010 at 14:55 »
Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of tangles, i mean fishing.

Plenty of companies do "starter" kits, people like:-
http://www.carrilon.co.uk/index.php?cPath=427
http://www.fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk/acatalog/Lureflash_Fishing_Outfits.html
http://www.yga.yorks.com/acatalog/copy_of_Fly_Fishing_Outfits.html
etc etc.

From my point of view I would be looking at maybe spreading out the cost and rather than trying to get everything at once, maybe look at quality secondhand gear and build slowly. I bet your bottom doller that if you get a kit for £100 it wont be long before you are wanting to upgrade :)

Have a look in the for sale section here, some real bargins to be had!

Talking of which :) I have a 9 foot 5 weight Fulling Mill Gold Medal rod for sale, say £50 (used maybe 15 times) and I will throw in a matching reel and line..hows that? You are more than welcome to come and try it first. Or, I have a 9 foot 5-6 weight Daiwa rod you can have for nothing. Well used but still very much servicable.

Chiz

« Reply #5 on: 13/05/2010 at 16:03 »
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response and also the very kind offers :)

I'm quite limited on how i can fish, as i don't drive so i'm reliant of friends and family, so i'm not looking to spend too much money on this just yet, that's why i thought this starter kit was perfect :). I think once i learn more about the sport and what's what, then i'll slowly start buying quality equipment.

Being a beginner, you could put a £20 and also a £600 rod in my hand and i wouldn't be able to tell the difference so i think that kit is spot on.

Again, thanks for the offers though, it's very kind of you!  :z16

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #6 on: 13/05/2010 at 16:08 »
Welcome to the forum mate. You already have some excellent advice. The only thing i would add is that i would never buy a fly rod without at least having it in my hand first to get a feel for it. Even better i would like to have a few casts with it.
Recommendations are great but fly rod choice is a personal thing. One mans meat and all that. :z7

I would seriously consider Robs kind offer. The fulling mill rods are held in high regard.

Hope this helps.
Tight lines
Paul

Chiz

« Reply #7 on: 13/05/2010 at 16:27 »
Hi Paul,

Cheers for getting back as well :)

I think i'm going to keep an eye on ebay until something cheap and half decent comes around.

I've seen a few 'walkabout' rods. Are these ok? or do you sacrifice performance for mobility?

All posts have been very useful though, even little parts like "fulling mill rods are held in high regard." will be remembered :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com