Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Chiz

I used to sea fish about 10 years ago and i've had an itch to take up fishing again!!

My friend and I went to Lochters for 4 hours fly fishing and also an hour tutorial....

Once we got the basics down, 20 minutes into fishing i managed to land an 11lbs (estimated by the official) Rainbow. Not knowing 'the rules' we took it out the water but the fishery official told us it must be released straight away (since it's over 10lbs). He also commented that we shouldn't handle the fish if they are getting released. Is this normal? Therefore i do not have a photo of the biggest fish i've EVER caught :(

I caught this on an intermediate line, 8lbs breaking line and on a fly. Unfortunately i'm not yet clued up on what the names of the fly's are, but it had long white feathers (about an inch long) with some reflective strands.

My friend also caught a 2lbs Rainbow on the same rig.

I had a brilliant time and plan on going again and taking up fly fishing more regularly. I think Haddo's is our next stop.

Can someone clarify what the correct procedure is when landing a fish of this size?

Cheers guys :)

Irvine Ross

Re: Lochters (Tuesday 11/05/10) - First time fly fishing!!
« Reply #1 on: 13/05/2010 at 14:18 »
Chiz

It's a bit difficult for a beginner to be able to know whether a fish is over or under 10lb. It would be a lot more helpful if the fishery set the limit by length rather than weight.
Anyway there is a lot of good advice on how to release fish on this link.

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2655.msg22557#msg22557

Welcome to fly fishing :grin

Irvine

Chiz

« Reply #2 on: 13/05/2010 at 14:57 »
That's very true. I thought it was around 5lbs, but the fishery official said 11lbs so i was way off the mark.

Would it be bad practice to weight the fish at the pond side, just so i know the size of fish?

Thanks for the link :) Much appreciated!

MC72

« Reply #3 on: 13/05/2010 at 18:07 »
I always seem to find releasing fish at lochter a bit of a fuss due to the  fact that there's often a fair bit of a height difference from the bank to the  water. Long forceps or release tool can help and of course barbless hooks.

They are generally happy for you to weigh the fish in the net and you'll soon get an appreciation of when a fish is worth weighing!

Just make sure you treat the fish with due care and respect and you should be fine.

Hopefully see you up at lochter sometime.

Chiz

« Reply #4 on: 14/05/2010 at 09:26 »
Thanks guys.

After reading through the links, listening to your advice, and also browsing through the photos taken by forum members, i've got a clearer idea on what's required.

Yes, let's hope so. :) Look out for the guy who looks and casts like a beginner and that'll be me :)   :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 14/05/2010 at 23:07 »
This is a useful video .....

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com