Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

strike indicators!!??
« on: 13/01/2007 at 12:29 »
Hi folks

i was at a local fishery the other week and was fished for a good few hours, with a intermediate line and lures but with no luck. and the only other people that i saw catching fish where using floating line with strike indicators with a cast of about 2 or 3 buzzers / bloodworms. so i changed my tatics and within 2 casts i was hooked up but lost it and i lost another 8 fish that day!! did not land a single fish was using barbless hooks of coarse!

is it cowboy method to use strike indicators?

Jay Scott

strike indicators!!??
« Reply #1 on: 13/01/2007 at 13:25 »
Well Keith,

We had this conversation before www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35

But i think the main outcome was that you don't need a strike indicator to fish buzzers and bloodworms well unless your sight is failing with old age  :wink: but many people you see nowadays are people who are ripping the hook into the fish's mouth as soon as the first sign of a take which i'm sure you will agree is not very sporting.

But if you look down on the link above you will see alternative methods for fishing buzzers without indicators.

Hope that helps!

Jay

indicaters
« Reply #2 on: 13/01/2007 at 21:04 »
well said jay could not have said it any better my self.
             henry from thewaterbouys :lol:

Sandy Nelson

strike indicators!!??
« Reply #3 on: 14/01/2007 at 08:26 »
Welcome to the forum Keith

Jay is right with where to look though.
Its a subject that has a risen many times and no doubt still will, as it evokes quite strong reactions from those who like FLY fishing :z4

The other one to look at is www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=172

Sandy

wildfisher

strike indicators!!??
« Reply #4 on: 14/01/2007 at 09:13 »
Keith welcome  to the forum.  how you fish is a private matter between yourself and the fishery owner. Forget the  Taleban, fish as you please, within the rules of the fishery and you won't go far wrong.

floats indicaters
« Reply #5 on: 14/01/2007 at 17:58 »
Hi keith
                  sorry for putting my views across before welcoming to the forum,was not very polite :oops:  .Indicater fishing is one of deadlist thing fishing just now.I met a friend of mine from fife at inch briliant fly tier,and he was using one.to very good effect :shock: this mate got flys called after him .I fished with him at our club in fife really good fisherman.we were in the same team fishing the benson hedges.this guy pulled out fish for fun i said to him whats this sir, lost youre touch.his reply was it was the only place you could catch 20 -30 fish for his permit. see down south he fished swans water caught 3 fish permit in ten minutes.Then he  was told if you want catch and release he would have to fish this we puddle in front of the house or get another permit disgusted he went hame.now he travels up north for his sport .now how long is it going take before it starts up here not long.all day saw the guy at inch going around picking up deased or dead fish,all that good sport going to waste.Now inch can probable cope with loss ,but the smaller fishiers well i dont think so it will be a struggle.now i am not trying to put this all down to floats or indicaters.The weather played its part  during the month of hot weather ,bad handling of the fish going back which most people will have seen and iwill put some down to comarants .but the indicater or float plays its part in my view .the set up my mate set was float indicater then 18inch leader tyed to a buzzer ,another piece of leader tyed to the hook bend on the buzzer going 2 foot down to gold head blob to keep every thing staight ,fish comes along touches the flys or even the line ,the minute float indicater moves its a instant strike resulting in a   fish but how much fish get fouled hook we never no  so now keith if youre strugling to catch a fish ive told you how to do it . :sad: after all they are well stocked fishiers where you dont need float indicater to hold lures up.. work your flys and enjoy your sport. as for the taliban everyone has there own views on this subject henry from thewaterbouys :lol:

duncanm

Re - Strike Indicators
« Reply #6 on: 14/01/2007 at 22:59 »
Sometimes I fish with them - sometimes I don't.

What I don't use them for, and would never even consider using them for is to 'rip into' fish.  I use them occasionally because they give me a bit more confidence in what is, in a large part, a confidence sport.  I accept that they compromise my, already compromised, casting but would definately still class what I am doing fishing them as "fly fishing" and nothing else.

Also, I have found that since I stopped using them for most of my fishing I have neded up with a couple of fish very deeply hooked which I never got when fishing with them (just about all my fish hooked when using the indicator were hooked in the scissors).  This deep hooking led to me having to dispach a fish when it was bleeding from the gills.

I do believe that these have a place in the sport, and feel that some of the 'anti' strike indicator feeling is a little bit precious at time....as long as the fishery allows them it is a legitimate way of fishing.

Jay Scott

strike indicators!!??
« Reply #7 on: 15/01/2007 at 15:05 »
Yes, sorry i forgot to welcome you as well. so.. Welcome!

Where are my manners.

Jay

indicaters
« Reply #8 on: 15/01/2007 at 16:24 »
hi duncanm
                        I find this happing when ive  had slack line and you dont detect the take.The booby is bad for it when lying static 2-3 feet of the bottom nearly always down its throat.Ialways keep a tight line so i am in contact with my flies waiting for the slightes take resulting in less flys down there throat.
                           henry from thewaterbouys :lol:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com