Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Merlin

getting started with salmon fishing
« on: 11/05/2010 at 18:54 »
Hello

my name is Merlin and I am new to this area around Aberdeen. I am going to stay in Aberdeen till the end of august doing a research internship at the university.  In Germany I am used to fish in smaller rivers for brown trout and grayling with the fly. During my time here in Scotland I would like to try to catch a salmon. The problem is that I have no experience in fly fishing for salmon, do not know which equipment I should buy and have no experience in spey casting with a two handed rod.
Is there a meeting of local fly fishermen in this area or some people meeting to practice casting?
What is an easy and not to expansive way (as I already mentioned I am a student) to get started?

thanks in advance,
merlin

Sandy Nelson

Re: getting started with salmon fishing
« Reply #1 on: 12/05/2010 at 01:44 »
Hello Merlin

Welcome to the forum, if you read through the Outcasts section of the forum, its dedicated to casting and learning how.
There is a meeting of local anglers and forum members every so often, where new techniques are explored, Normally the basic ideas of which type of casting they want to investigate are agreed before hand, so keep your eyes peeled for an Outcasts gathering and make a suggestion, the guys are all really friendly and more than willing to pass on experience.
There are often a couple of fully qualified instructors at the meeting too and this is a real bonus.

Cheers

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com