Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Skagit/Spey casting
« Reply #15 on: 10/05/2010 at 16:45 »
I'll look forward to that.  Will the challenge be for me or for you?  ???

David.  :grin

Possibly you :) I just want to float a concept past you. I think you will have the answer already, but I may have to get a few test blanks rolled so I would need to know costs etc. to see if it was worth while.

Anyway, I have taken enough of your time, thanks for the information.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #16 on: 14/05/2010 at 12:02 »
Hi Rob.

Drop in past the shop and I will explain it to you in full, not got time right now to answer fully in type.

Switch rods are funny things, if you want to use the rod as a single hander then you will find that a single handed line of a weight about that which the rod is rated for will work well.

When casting the rod two handed, you will want more weight in the line and if you are throwing streamers etc then you will certainlywant something heavier than a 5wt singlehanded line.

5wt Spey line are available, Rio Make the AFS head down to a 4/5, the windcutter is available as a 4/5, Beulah Elixir lines start at 4/5 and for the rod to work well as a two hander, these are the lines you should be looking at.

With the Skagit thing, the head needs to be very short to allow the fast tips and large heavy flies to be lifted to the surface.  These lines were devised for use in fast deep water for fishing to fish that like the fly bounced along the river bed often with little or no backcast space, lifting T14 or T17 on a standard Spey line is very hard work.  When selecting a skagit set up for a rod, ignore the weight of the tip and cheater and select the right weight of head for the rod.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #17 on: 14/05/2010 at 14:10 »
Thanks Ben,
I will pop in past the shop with the finished rod for some advice. i thought you would come up trumps!

Thanks

Ben Dixon

« Reply #18 on: 14/05/2010 at 15:25 »
No Probs, looking at the grain window, I would go towards the upper end of the window for a Skagit, maybe a Rio Skagit Short 275 grain, this could be ordered from the states.  Would have to see / cast the rod before I could give a firm recomendation.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com