Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Fishing in the summer time
« on: 02/05/2010 at 10:42 »
All,

I wanted to ask the forum a few questions about summer fishing.  I love fishing in the warmer weather although we all know that Aberdeenshire isn't gauanteed for the most stable of weather conditions.  So i've either got a heavy wading jacket or a waistcoat.  The waistcoat is fine for hot weather but not much good if the conditions change when you're out there and the wading jacket is great in the cold but not so good when it gets sunny.  I tend to fish all day and take a bite on the river bank rather than going back to the hut/car for sandwiches.  So I want a bag that I can wear whilst wading, won't end up soaked, and has room for a small rain jacket, bottle of water, shotting heads, flies etc.  Has anybody used anything like these?

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/headwaters_chest_hip_pack.html#

or this

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=9X85&dir_id=441&group_id=704&cat_id=5353&subcat_id=5782

cheers

Matt

Jim Eddie

Re: Fishing in the summer time
« Reply #1 on: 02/05/2010 at 19:31 »
Matt

I have never used those chest/waist pack things , I'm pretty sure Iain has , the Orvis one looks fine . I usually just take a small rucksack when I'm on the river.

:z18

Jim

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 02/05/2010 at 21:43 »
Is there a piece of tackle that Iain hasn't used? I see simms have ones that are rubberised. Which would be good too.

Cheers

Matt

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 02/05/2010 at 22:11 »
Is there a piece of tackle that Iain hasn't used? I see simms have ones that are rubberised. Which would be good too.

Cheers

Matt

Correct Matt

There is not a a peice of tackle that Iain has not used  :z13 

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 02/05/2010 at 23:44 »
I stopped using vests a while back as I found I got a sore back/neck from the weight of it. I now use the Orvis safe passage pack system that seems to be easier on my back plus fits over waterproofs and winter clothing as well as over a t shirt in the summer. I use this because of the size of the fly boxes it can take (pike flies). However, I am so impressed with it I am going to get the chest pack version for river trout. A bit lighter and neater.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 03/05/2010 at 09:52 »
Aye Matt,
I'm always trying to find the Holy Grail of tackle/ gear conveyance.
The simple answer is................................................................It doesn't exist  :z6

Travel light? with a piece and flask? all the gear? suspended above maximum possible wading height? allowing a free and unrestricted casting (and non line catching) existence? that won't smack you on the chin or back of the head as you stoop to land as fish from an awkward bank or even remove a stuck fly from the reeds on an equaly steep bank?

Take up spinning - one rod, one reel, no net, no wading stick, no glasses, one spinner  (if lost go home and cut the grass) :z16 :z4

I've a few bumbags (including the older version of the Simms one) and will pm you regarding giving them a try.

Have to go work calls

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 03/05/2010 at 10:07 »
I reckon for salmonoids in the summer I could get away with one fly box. Forceps, knife, spool of nylon, tips and shooting head wallet, jacket, piece and water. Similar for trout fishing just without the shooting head wallet. There is a rubberised simms number that would be at waist height most of the time and then over the shoulder like a man bag in very deep water. But we'll wait and see. Would very much appreciate the chance to borrow one!

Cheers

Matt

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 03/05/2010 at 10:14 »
Like Rob, I've pretty much given up on my waistcoat - not the most comfortable thing when it's laden down with fishing toys. I've got into the habit (when trout river fishing/travelling uber light) of bunging stuff into my shirt pockets and wearing a light breathable & waterproof jacket that carries everything else I need.
Otherwise I take a bag and place it roughly centrally to where I'm fishing - a base camp if you like. However, that can be a right pain as you're forever having to go back and get it  :z6
If I'm fishing with Ben  the whole situation changes ofcourse..... he carries all the toys and I just sponge off his gear :z7

:z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 03/05/2010 at 11:16 »
Is it just me, but I can remember fishing as a youngster with a rod, a box of bits in my pocket, a cheese sarnie in the other pocket and I could enjoy my day without spending it going through numerous pockets/boxes/bags looking for that one piece of equipment I had forgotten to pack.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 03/05/2010 at 11:57 »
I usually just take a small rucksack

Otherwise I take a bag and place it roughly centrally to where I'm fishing

Matt,
Back again - this makes the most sense if your bringing your picnic with you too - leave all the clutter on the bank and fish light as God intended.

One thing about the bumbag, which I still think is a great piece of kit - just the right volume for everthing you'll need BUT it's so very easy to get caught up in your fishing and wade too deep. By the way those laser cut Simms 'rubberised' ones are NOT 100% waterproof.

Also you can try
http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=96Y1&dir_id=441&group_id=704&cat_id=5353&subcat_id=5782

or

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=0A4Y&dir_id=441&group_id=704&cat_id=5353&subcat_id=5782

Both nice little numbers
Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #10 on: 03/05/2010 at 14:15 »
those are nice but I think I prefer this

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/dry_creek_chest_hip_pack.html#

Still might have to wait until the budget allows for any of these options. 

Iain Goolager

« Reply #11 on: 03/05/2010 at 19:28 »
Matt,

Here's one you can try if you like.

pm me for collection.

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #12 on: 04/05/2010 at 07:05 »
did it come free with the can of export? If so I've suddenly gone off the idea...  :z4

paavo

« Reply #13 on: 04/05/2010 at 09:40 »
Hi Matt
I use an old Vision vest, short with two big front pockets and two inside pockets.
In sunny and warm days I use a Fishpond chest pack, similar to this http://www.anglers-pro.com/cgi-bin/cat/09486.html Might to light for you, if you are looking at the Simms Dry Creek Hip Pack

A small rucksack for reels, lines, sandwiches and coffee etc, and I leave it on the bank.

//Harri

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 04/05/2010 at 15:14 »
I have recently been running around Wales in one of these

Lots of storage but the ballistic plates make it a bit on the heavy side ;) Would not want to fall over in the water with one on..lol.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com