Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

clark

Bug identification ?
« on: 26/04/2010 at 19:41 »
Can anyone tell me what kind of fly this is ???? Caught it while i was doing some river sampling on the Don  :z16 it was about 1.5 inches long from the tip of the tale to the tip of its head :shock

Any help would be much appreciated  :z16

Calum

adambrain

Re: Bug identification ?
« Reply #1 on: 26/04/2010 at 19:50 »
I think I saw one of them in a film with Sigourney Weaver  once !! :z18

Sorry nae clue. :z8

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 26/04/2010 at 20:48 »
Stone fly nymph, male I think.

bruce

« Reply #3 on: 26/04/2010 at 22:54 »
Area 51 will be able to help :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 27/04/2010 at 01:16 »
Stone fly nymph.

Sounds good to me :z16 it looks like the large one that is common in the Don (perlodes microcephala, if i'm right :z7)
not sure if i could sex it though.
The males don't grow proper wings if i remember rightly and its only the females that fly.
Not sure if you can tell difference at Nymph stage :z8 and the picture might make it look a bit darker than it is, nice image though :z16

Often called Creepers or gadgers  and used as bait sometimes (quite common to do this many moons ago)

Sandy

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 27/04/2010 at 06:34 »
Its the lack of wing buds that makes me think male :z8 Interesting that they were used as bait, the trout must take them then....
Was reading somewhere recently that our American cousins fish the nymph on a sinking line and a short leader or something like a stimulator as a copy. Must try this. 

Irvine Ross

« Reply #6 on: 27/04/2010 at 08:42 »
I have tried nymphing with a big stone fly pattern  like this one on the Don

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern6796.html

No success yet alas but that maybe says more about my nymphing technique than the pattern.

Irvine

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #7 on: 27/04/2010 at 09:36 »
Fishing the gadger was , at one time, very popular on the Clyde. The old guys i talk to down there tell me they used to do very well when using them as bait. I think it is a method very few of them use anymore.
Easier to tie an imitation than collect enough for a day!!

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 27/04/2010 at 10:25 »
The gadger is still fished on the clyde and i saw a lad taking a few fish with it on the earn also this winter!
A huge nymph but the fish fair enjoyed it  :z4

Paul Rankine

« Reply #9 on: 27/04/2010 at 12:22 »
Hi All,
          all this talk of gadgers brings me back to my youth fishing the WOL with them. Very similar to present day czech nymphing but way more effective , for me , anyway . :z4

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 27/04/2010 at 12:33 »
Often called Creepers or gadgers  and used as bait sometimes (quite common to do this many moons ago)

The slightly annoying John Wilson used these as bait in one of his programmes, showing anglers it was possible to collect your own bait for free and have a great days fishing.

If I remember correctly, he took Chub, Brownies and a big Dace.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #11 on: 27/04/2010 at 15:20 »
perlodes microcephala, if i'm right

Oooooh! look at you!  :z4

not sure if i could sex it though

It's hot in the jungle is it Sandy?  :z7

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 28/04/2010 at 08:28 »
Sandy will have bigger and more impressive bugs to look at out there!!! The Borneo Bombers are pretty impressive!!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com