Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Rob Brownfield

How to role your own..very nice video from David Norwich
« on: April 26, 2010, 15:43:16 PM »
Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but I thought I would put it up anyway...an insight into what goes into a truely custom rod (and Mikes new 5 weight!!)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8qjrvoXJJkQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param</object>
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

Sandy Nelson

Re: How to roll your own..very nice video from David Norwich
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 02:54:24 AM »
Cheers Rob

That was interesting to watch, Kinda fits with my whole concept of the thing.

David, when does part 2 come out?

Sandy
John Geirach 1999 "Millions of trout have died of old age before i could catch them and there's not a damn thing i can do about that"

Rob Brownfield

Re: How to role your own..very nice video from David Norwich
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 08:25:29 AM »
There is another rather interesting video where David explains his DNA concept...basically a custom rolles extra section to take any 4 piece rod and convert it into a longer rod, so..a 9 foot 5 weight can become an 11 footer. Fantastic concept!

Nice to see proper craftsmen at work and coming up with innovative ideas!
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

David N

Re: How to roll your own..very nice video from David Norwich
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 16:26:38 PM »
Cheers Rob

That was interesting to watch, Kinda fits with my whole concept of the thing.

David, when does part 2 come out?

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Thank's for the comment.

The footage has been shot. It is just getting time to edit it all into a semblence of order. It has been a busy start to the year. 

I was really surprised looking at the footage, as I'm sure you will be when I post it on YouTube -  just how many hand & machine process's a rod blank goes through before it becomes a finished fly rod.  I just take it as part of the working week, but looking at it - it really is surprising.

I'm not sure how it can be reduced to the under 10 minutes YouTube need? It will need to be a whistle stop sort of show to get it all in.

Regards,

David.

www.davidnorwich.com

Sandy Nelson

Re: How to role your own..very nice video from David Norwich
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 01:26:27 AM »
Looking forward to it  :z16
it gives me lots to think about whilst being out here :cool:

cheers

Sandy
John Geirach 1999 "Millions of trout have died of old age before i could catch them and there's not a damn thing i can do about that"

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum

All content on this website is copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk