Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Michael Buchan

Fetternear - Don
« on: 23/04/2010 at 20:20 »
Hi guys,

Have booked a days salmon fishing at Fetternear on the Don tomorrow through FishScotland.  Have never fished the beat before so was wondering if anyone can give me some info.  Mainly

Does the beat extend below the suspension bridge beside burnhervie?

Also is the car park beside the suspension bridge the best place to park or can you take the car into the estate?

Thanks

Michael

Hamish Young

Re: Fetternear - Don
« Reply #1 on: 24/04/2010 at 10:40 »
All a bit late for this reply, hopefully you'll have met up with Rick (beat owner) who generally points everyone in the right direction.
Hope it went well, nice beat  :wink

:z3

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 25/04/2010 at 13:03 »
C'mon Michael!

How'd it go?

Michael Buchan

« Reply #3 on: 25/04/2010 at 21:38 »
Cheers Hamish, never met Rick but the bailiff who checked my permit pointed me in the right direction. 

Unfortunatly very little to report had a good days casting practice.  Nice beat with some sweet pools to cast a fly but never seen or felt a fish the whole day  :cry.  

Very little flies were comming off and the ones that were hatching were not interesting any of the trout.  Baliff did mention some fishers had good sucess nymphing but was enjoying the day with the double hander so never had a go for the trout maybee next time.  

Heres a couple photos of the beat.  

On a separate note its quite a nice walk through the estate you can start at kemnay bridge and loop over the suspension  bridge.  Some good views of the river.

Michael

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 26/04/2010 at 08:59 »
Nice pics of a nice beat Michael, a shame you didn't connect. I heard there were plenty of fresh fish about. Did you vary patterns and depth :? Very often worth trying something really much bigger than you might think appropriate for the size of water - don't wish to sound like I'm lecturing  :oops it pays to chop and change.

:z3

Michael Buchan

« Reply #5 on: 26/04/2010 at 11:49 »
Tried various different lines and flies must admit never put on any really big flies probably the opposite i usually start with what i think is appropriate for the height and colour of water then move down a size at a time. 

Do the Don fish generally prefer a bigger fly than what you’d expect? I know given the same conditions that the Dee fish generally like a smaller flie compared to say the Spey where you would use something a bit meatier.  May have something to do with speed of the river, water clarity or genetics who knows

Michael

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com