Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Blobber

Best dry fly
« on: 18/04/2010 at 18:24 »
Hi Guys.

i am new to fishing and have mainly be using the blob over winter but want to start and learn dry fly.

My question which might cause a we stir is where in aberdeen/shire fishery's for rainbow is the most enjoyable dry fly fishing?  What time of day's would be best to experiance this?

Also what is you most succesful dry fly you fish?

Neil

PDScott

Re: Best dry fly
« Reply #1 on: 18/04/2010 at 19:53 »
Neil,
I have had great days using dries on Loch Insch, Artloch and, of course, Haddo. From my limited experience, I think that it is still too early in the year to be trying dries but others may dispute this. I was out at Waulkmill this morning and the water is still very cold and, although the martins/swallows were taking something in the air above the loch, there was very little surface activity from the fish.
My own personal favourite dry flies are tied with CDC using the Marc Petitjean method ( examples of these can be found on YouTube ) and also Klinkhammers.
As to the best time of day - anytime the fish are feeding on the surface!
I hope this of some help
Peter

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 18/04/2010 at 20:17 »
Hi Neil,
pretty much as Peter says..............

I'd automatically think of three flies;

Klinkhamer style (in various colours and sizes - which can mean going very small in a flat calm)
F-flies (again in various colours and sizes)
Black Hoppers (12's) in a chop

others might include Paraduns, Griffiths Gnat & cdc emerging patterns.

That's PLENTY to be getting on with.

when the fish are on the dries there's nothing better.

Iain

P Ross

« Reply #3 on: 20/04/2010 at 23:22 »
Was up at Loch Insch on Monday...bitterly cold to start with but by early afternoon with the sun coming up there was the best expolsion of rising fish i have ever seen up at the top loch. Quick change of fly saw me landing three fish on the dry with 2 other guy's landing 4 between them. Only lasted for about 30 min but gave me the taste of things to come.  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com