Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Andy Finlay

Which Don council beat for novice Fisher
« on: 16/04/2010 at 15:57 »
I fancy trying my hand on the Don but was wondering which of the council beats is the best for a novice river fisher like myself. Not interested in Salmon, just trout and preferably not too busy (Saturday) as I'm not 100% up on the etiquette at the moment. Would ideally be bank fishing and I don't mind walking if required.

Noel Kelly

Re: Which Don council beat for novice Fisher
« Reply #1 on: 16/04/2010 at 21:43 »
I fish Kintore and its rarely busy. Saying that I met a few dodgy characters there today and saw another guy, he didnt look as dodgy as the other two though thankfully :z4
Its normally salmon fishers I meet at Kintore.

Inverurie probably has better trout water and also probably slightly busier, again mostly salmon fishers.

The fishing is tough at the moment. I saw the biggest march brown hatch I have ever seen today and no fish moved to them :cry
Being a novice I would suggest you should be on the water before midday. Actually if you don't know the beats might be an idea get there earlier than that and have a walk and a look at the river.
This time of year I would be looking for water where you are likely to get a hatch of MB's or LDO's which will be the faster rough water, you want to be 50/100 yards below this.
The gulls will show you where there is a hatch in progress so head for any of those you see working the river.
I would suggest that you resist thel impulse to fish the water and instead sit in your chosen spot and wait for rising fish.
Try something like a CDC& elk, hare,s ear klink, olive paradun on any rising fish you see, if you see any that is. Be prepared for a shock if you do connect :wink   
I hope to get on the river for an hour or two tomorrow around lunchtime so If you,re at Kintore come say hello. Green canvas hat and a cloud of rollie smoke will be me:z3 

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 16/04/2010 at 22:12 »
I'd give another vote for Kintore. Although I must have been the less dodgy character today. However I generally always enjoy fishing at Kintore. All of the beats have their own plus points though. If you can stretching to the roving permit might well be a good investment.

Andy Finlay

« Reply #3 on: 19/04/2010 at 10:18 »
Thanks for the indepth reply, I didn't get out this weekend but will hopefully in the near future, may wait until things warm up a bit.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com