Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Garrigan

A day on the Dee at Crathie....
« on: 11/04/2010 at 14:40 »
I was out on the Dee at Crathie yesterday. No fish to report but it was a beautiful day and some of the pools i fished were a dream to swing a fly round. Thought i would share some pics with you guys. Tactics for the day were sink tip lines and park shrimps.

I will be heading back in May for another crack at it.  :z16

Tight lines
Paul

Jim Eddie

Re: A day on the Dee at Crathie....
« Reply #1 on: 11/04/2010 at 16:52 »
Looks Like a nice bit of water Paul  :z16

I'll bet your glad you missed the fitba  :z4

:z18

Jim

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #2 on: 11/04/2010 at 17:18 »
lol yeah Jim its getting painful being a celtic fan now! I was better off on the Dee!  :cry

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 11/04/2010 at 19:53 »
Sorry Paul I could not resist  :wink

As the song goes , things can only get better  :z13

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 12/04/2010 at 07:22 »
Looks like great water there Paul. :z16

Maybe next time with the fish though.

Iain

paavo

« Reply #5 on: 12/04/2010 at 09:54 »
Nice pics. I wouldn’t mind to throw a dry fly on the pics. 6 and 7, it has a lovely background too.

:z18//Harri

Irvine Ross

« Reply #6 on: 12/04/2010 at 12:35 »
Nice pics. I wouldn’t mind to throw a dry fly on the pics. 6 and 7, it has a lovely background too.

:z18//Harri

Harri

You would have to pick your time carefully. The Dee is a salmon and sea trout river. There are very few brown trout around and it is rare to see a rise. However it is, as you say, lovely countryside.

Irvine

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #7 on: 12/04/2010 at 19:02 »
Looks like great water there Paul. :z16

Maybe next time with the fish though.

Iain

Definately a fish next time Iain! Although the way my salmon per trip average, it will be another six outings before i see a fish!  :oops :z7

Harri

You would have to pick your time carefully. The Dee is a salmon and sea trout river. There are very few brown trout around and it is rare to see a rise. However it is, as you say, lovely countryside.

Irvine

Irvine, I ask every ghillie on the Dee about the trout and they all tell me the same as you just have. What is the reason for the lack of trout? You are correct that you rarely see a rise. I saw an excellent hatch of march browns about this time lat year on the middle dee and one trout had them all to itself!  ???

Cheers
Paul

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 12/04/2010 at 19:41 »
Paul

Generally a good sea trout river = a bad brown trout river. Generally its got to do with the availability of food , if the river is rich in nutrients, weed life etc no need for the trout to go  to sea to feed. 

Jim

Irvine Ross

« Reply #9 on: 13/04/2010 at 08:39 »
Paul

Like Jim says it is down to lack of food in the river system. The Dee is a very oligotrophic river (Lacking in plant nutrients such as phosphates, nitrates, and organic matter, and consequently having few plants and a large amount of dissolved oxygen throughout) because it runs off hill ground with a lot of acid granite rock and poor infertile soils. Because of the lack of food, once the young fish grow above parr size, almost all of them have to go to sea to feed.

The headwaters of the Don runs off gabbro and mica-schist rocks which produce more fertile soils, hence more nutrients in the river, hence more food for the fish. There is an old rhyme which is based on the difference in the fertility of the two valleys which goes
"Aye mile o' Don's worth twa o'Dee
Except it be for fish and tree"

So I guess the Dee was always a better salmon river. Maybe because there are so few brown trout to feed on the young salmon parr.

Irvine

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #10 on: 13/04/2010 at 09:49 »
Cheers for that  :z16 I can stop pestering the ghillies about the trout now!  :z4

Tight lines
Paul

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com