Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Hatches - April 2010
« on: 09/04/2010 at 20:55 »
Managed a late afternoon session at Kemnay this afternoon.

Although the water is still moderately coloured and higher than desirable for Trout fishing it felt a good height for throwing a fly for Salmon, this was confirmed when I spoke to a guy that had had a springer earlier in the day.
The weather was warm and water temp was apparently up which brought an almost constant flow of flies  - sometimes the odd one here and there - sometimes a fair few ,most notably two largeish hatches of March Browns - these had me forgetting the Salmon fishing and trying in vain to catch a sample of the monkeys as they passed downstream, frustratingly just out of reach.  I ended up trying to hook them on the reel of my outstretched rod,  which didn’t work very well. I did manage a couple ‘Mr Miagi’ style but they weren’t in a fit state to photo.

Here’s the  best picture I got

There were also a good few LDO’s and a couple of Sedges which I tried very hard to catch but to no avail.
Only one Trout was seen on the surface but nymph activity must have been high.
As for the Salmon I didn’t get a springer but a fish did go for the green & black twice in consecutive casts – unfortunately a change of fly and mini rest didn’t see any further interest from him.
Great to see so many dries – just wish the water conditions were more favourable for Trout.

Iain

I checked the time on my mobile during one of the better MB hatches and it was 3:33pm

Mike Barrio

Re: Hatches - April 2010
« Reply #1 on: 09/04/2010 at 21:41 »
Great stuff Iain! :z16

Cheers
Mike

zeolite

« Reply #2 on: 10/04/2010 at 11:53 »
Good job catching and photographing that MB Ian. I have tried and always end up squashing them beyond recognition and then feeling guilty about it afterwards.

Richard Tong

« Reply #3 on: 11/04/2010 at 10:46 »
Nice one Iain. It will be interesting to see the response from the Trout once the level drops.

Any updates would be greatly appreciated. I cannot be the only one left feeling frustrated at the water levels. Things are slow down here too. Hit a good LDO hatch last Friday on Wharfe but not many fish responded considering the amount of duns on the surface. The Grannom would normally be kicking off down here but not seen any yet. Off in a moment to have another look......

Richard

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com