Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Moreton Bay, Queensland
« on: 02/04/2010 at 01:57 »
Finally got out fishing with my fly rod whilst away on the Gold coast.
I met up with a guy i've spoken too on Sexyloops and the Australian Saltwater fly fishing forums.
The internet can be a wonderful place.

So Despite them having had 4 weeks of storms before we arrived, the weather decide to improve and we had the perfect opportunity to get out, on my Birthday of all days. Who belives in fate :z7
So i turned up, eventually :roll at Scarborough harbour on the sunshine coast, north of Brisbane.
Voltzy was there waiting with his boat.

I put all the gear together to finally use it in anger.

We set off ,out into Moreton bay to look for longtails. We eventually found some birds doing what they do best, showing us where the fish were :z16. it was an amazing sight.

I've seen it in books and on the TV, but to see it for real was quite awesome. This was a huge shoal of Frigate Mackeral, which is one of the smaller tuna, but a tuna none the less despite its name :z3 At times the shoal was over 100m in diameter feeding on Bay anchovies. However they were moving at about 25kph so you no sooner got within casting range, fired off about 3 casts if all went well :roll and then they had moved too far so you had to shift the boat.

Every 3rd or 4th time we hit the shoal i managed to hook up, it required that Tried and tested method the Rolypoly, Baz would be proud :z4

But it was well worth it, the fish might have all been identical size about 3lbs.

But they fair put a bend in the 9wt rod, and stripped line off the reel.

I caught a few over the morning and got a few shots at some longtails (20-30lbers) that were feeding at the edge of the larger shoal.
They were impossible to photo and i didn't get a pull from them, but i did get a few flies into the right place, and with the speed these fish move, i was well chuffed i managed that :z12
Here are a few more frig's

Later on we found another disturbed Bait ball and gave it a go. With my typical luck i caught a few Yakka's and some Tarpon about the same size :shock

So i caught 3 new species for my day out, saw some awesome longtails, experienced bait balls being crashed, smelt the fish in the air. I had such a great time with great company, it was worth the wait. We also had some interesting fishing buddies sidle up to the boat for a nosey.

Didn't see any sharks, but given the predictions after the storms, we were lucky to find any fish at all, never mind get the chance to have a few good casts at some longies.
All in, a fantastic way to spend your birthday :z18

Next flyfishing trip is likely to be be at Haddo, so i'll leave the 9wt at home :z4

Sandy

Hamish Young

Re: Moreton Bay, Queensland
« Reply #1 on: 02/04/2010 at 07:21 »
Nice - very nice  :z16

Paul Rankine

« Reply #2 on: 02/04/2010 at 12:43 »
Hi Sandy,
                 Looks OK I suppose.
 :z4

Nice One.

Stuart Smith

« Reply #3 on: 02/04/2010 at 18:16 »
very nice

i had the same luck in sydney harbour on my bosses boat but the tuna were the bail fish.it took hours but i hooked one of the king fish that were chasing them.it snapped my 9 weight on its first run but when i got it in it was about 4ft long

it is a sight i will never forget watching the kings smash through the shoals of tuna

god i wish i was back in oz

stuart

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 02/04/2010 at 20:50 »
Happy belated birthday Sandy :z18

Nice report and fish - lucky devil. :z16

Not too sure about this though;
I met up with a guy i've spoken too on Sexyloops and the Australian Saltwater fly fishing forums

The last time I organised a date with 'someone' off of the internet it turned out to be a 6' 2" builder from Wolverhampton  :shock

we still write  :z4

Well done again

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 03/04/2010 at 01:17 »
Awesome Sandy ............ that looks like fun! :z12

Thanks for the report and photos :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 03/04/2010 at 01:33 »

The last time I organised a date with 'someone' off of the internet it turned out to be a 6' 2" builder from Wolverhampton  :shock

we still write  :z4

Why does this not surprise me :z4 :z4 :z4

Cheers

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #7 on: 03/04/2010 at 14:28 »
Sandy

Looks like a great day out.

How come there are 3 propellers fitted to such a small boat  :z8

Irvine

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 03/04/2010 at 15:42 »
No idea
but if you look carefully there are 4 :shock

I think it has something to do with crusing on flats and creeping up on fish
was too busy looking for fish to ask questions about the boat :grin

sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #9 on: 05/04/2010 at 17:14 »
Great report Sandy, nice rolly pollying gloves  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com