Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Fly tying lamp/ magnifier
« on: 01/04/2010 at 23:30 »
This was brought to my attention yesterday so I bought one today and they are very good................................

Desk Mount 22W Magnifier Lamp

Provides shadow free light with no heat emissions
Ideal for intricate work such as electronics and hobbies
Large high quality lens measuring 125mm (3 dioptre)
Spring balanced metal arms and locking knobs allow unit to be secured in any position
Multi position G-Clamp mounting bracket
Includes 22W energy-saving tube

From Maplin at the Haudagain Retail Park - £19.99.

Hooked it next to my angle poise lamp and the difference is literaly night and day - I've been meaning to get a 'daylight' lamp for a while but the costs seemed steep.

No more yellow ligh that's got too much glare and gets very hot.

I tied a couple of paraduns on #20 Partridge SLD hooks using the large magnifying glass and It was revolutionary.

Iain

Matt Henderson

Re: Fly tying lamp/ magnifier
« Reply #1 on: 02/04/2010 at 00:01 »
great idea Iain.  But export?!?!?

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 02/04/2010 at 07:24 »
Nice lamp, could be a worthwhile addition to my flytying kit as I'm always have blinded after using my 'old school' lamp :cool:
Might give the export a miss though...........  :z8

:z3

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 02/04/2010 at 17:49 »
is it a daylight lamp Iain? I got one from the hobbycraft place that has a daylight lamp and separate magnifier, for bigger flies I don't find that I need the magnification but I do find the light useful.

Surely Gin and Tonic would be better for a man of your taste? 

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 02/04/2010 at 20:37 »
Matt,
 It doesn't say 'daylight' on the box but as I said it's white none glare light is as good as I'll ever need.
As for the magnifier - I tied the #20's just to see how much difference it made, if any, and although I don't think it's absolutely neccessary it's definitely much easier.

Gin and Tonic and me don't get on, too much of it makes me strip off & blabber about fishing for hours on end.  :z8

Iain

Paul Rankine

« Reply #5 on: 02/04/2010 at 21:18 »
Hi Iain,
             That's a good addition to your tying equipment. I,ve been using one for about the past ten years. I changed the supplied bulb for a daylight one bought in B+Q. Can't say I,ve noticed a huge difference but the use of the magnifier does make a Shuge difference to an auld git with failing eyes. Only thing is to be careful not to hit the lens with one of my wraps, sound daft , but it's easy to do. Very disconcerting !

PS: Prefer a nice glass of Mateus meesel, just the one mind  :wink

Parkhill tomorrow for me ,it;s still a bit brown but hopefully it'll be clearing ,fingers crossed.

See Ya,

Paul.

Dutchfly

« Reply #6 on: 11/04/2010 at 16:30 »
For 7 Euro's, which is what, 12 pounds these days?  :z7 you can buy an Enrich Spot bulb by General Electric. No need for expensive daylight lamps when you have one of these!

P.S. If only Tradewinds was sold in Holland...

CU

Jeroen

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com